What should I do with this panel?

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've just moved into a house, formerly a HMO, with this fire panel. I havent touched it yet!

Can anyone help with a manual? How do I isolate and test it?

I would like to move the panel, probably next year. I would also like to fit a burglar alarm. Is a combined system using the existing detectors and wiring for fire detection possible?

There is also a bell on the wall and I would also like to relocate this.
IMG_20180820_062329.jpg IMG_20180820_062338.jpg

Thanks

bsr

Attachments

• IMG_20180820_062329.jpg
    IMG_20180820_062329.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Memories, My career started at Lab-Craft, before they manufactured alarm systems. The company is still active in lighting products.

So all the detectors will need to be replaced too? Will the cables be OK? Will it be an EOL resistor system like a burglar alarm?

In the meantime how do I test, isolate, reset? Can you help with what the buttons and key do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would guess that this system dates from the mid-late 80's (I removed one around 2 years ago from a building constructed in 1986) My advice would be to remove this system and go with mains powered interlinked smoke/heat detectors if you're converting back to a house. A proper fire alarm system ideally needs regular servicing via a competent organisation, mains powered smoke detectors don't really need any interaction from the end user. You won't be able to use any of the existing equipment on your new burglar alarm (ideally, it's best to keep them seperate from each other anyway)

Thanks, I had also come to the conclusion that a mains-powered, interlinked domestic system would be best. Any recommendations? I've been happy with Fireangel in the past so I was considering their pro range.

Could you tell me how to decommission the system without setting the alarms off? Is there likely to be a battery backup?

Also, will a mains-interlink system work across circuits on the same consumer unit? The easiest way to power would be using upstairs and downstairs lighting.

I have Aico mains smokes in my house, they've been very reliable and are reasonably unobtrusive looking compared to some of them.

You could use radio linked detectors if it is more convenient to wire them to separate mains supplies.

With regards to decommissioning the existing system, you need to find where the mains supply to it is fed from. Hopefully, it is on its own fuse/breaker (it should be!) When you do isolate the mains, the panel will beep to make you aware of the problem. Then, open the panel and disconnect the standby batteries. It should now be completely dead.

Be careful when working around the mains supply, it should be made safe at both the panel end and supply end once you have found where it is fed from. Also, the standby batteries can be dangerous if their terminal become shorted together by accident so take care (watches in particular can bridge across the terminals easily)

Hello, I have now removed the system. I replaced it using a Fireangel mains, battery backed, wireless interlinked system. I mounted them near lights and used mains feeds from the lighting circuits which made wiring easy. I've been very happy with it and it looks much neater than the Aico equivalent.

The only thing that surprised me is that I couldn't wireless interlink over the mains so I had to go wireless. Possibly a gap in the market!

Thanks for your help

Using mains to interlink a fire alarm? horrible idea - the mains has too much interference in it IMO.

It works for the internet (mains network extender plugs) at a high data rate so I'm sure it would be fine for a simple "alarm" signal!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back