Fire Alarms - Large Domestic property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently moved into a new house, and i would like to sort out the fire alarm situation.

Currently there are 7 standalone battery powered detectors placed around the house (lounge, hallway *4, kitchen, utility room). I would also like to add at least two more, one in the boiler room and one in the garage as well as some CO detectors (gas boiler, gas hob)

Scotland is bringing in rules soon that require them to be interlinked, and personally i would prefer hardwired/mains interlinking over wireless.

What i'm trying to decide, is given the number of detection points, and running cables anyway, at what point should i skip past "standard" domestic smoke detectors and fit an actual fire panel with addressable heads etc?

Sponsored Links
You could do wireless interlink bases , the detectors are connected to mains with a battery back up ....but the interlink part is done via the wireless base

I dont want wireless interlink, I want actual wires, because they work properly and consistently. Running the cables isnt an issue, the layout of the house, multiple loft areas and a large "cellar" means getting cabling to the detectors isnt an issue for almost all of the points. I think only one of the hall locations might be a little tricky. And if i'm running cables for power anyway, it seems sensible to just use wired interlink.

I had enough trouble getting wifi spread around the house and endless issues with other "wireless" devices in the past, that i much prefer using hardwired solutions where possible.

The question is mostly do i stick with typical domestic interlinked "smoke detectors", or do i go for something more centralised. I've seen the "Grade C" systems with a basic central control box, but it seems like 90% of the way to a Grade A panel at that point. Probably overkill, but i also quite like the idea of remote monitoring and suchlike that can come with a proper system like that.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back