What should I look for Skoda Superb 2016 136k miles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to look at one tomorrow.

serviced by Skoda being sold by small garage.
No history of cam belt change, wondered what sort of costs I can expect to pay for cam belt replacement.

also what else I should look at at, it has had an mot today according to a check I have done and no advisories.

it’s a green line technology model, registered September 2016

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A cambelt change with a Skoda main dealer is £539 for this car, expect £425 from an independant garage.....both include a water pump.
Also listen for flywheel rumble and clutch issues or smooth changes if a DSG model.
Go for as much warranty as possible!
John :)

Family member has a Skoda octavia, 1.6 tdi. EGR valves can be a bit flaky in addition to above.

Thanks spoken to my local garage too and discussed price and things to look for, I will know more after a test drive. It has had an MOT this morning, no advisories and looked at the history of the MOT. But MOTs don’t mean everything is good.

gone are the days I can take my tights off then.

out of interest why does the water pump need doing at same time. It’s not DSG but have read about those issues.

thanks for taking your time to reply

Sponsored Links
The water pumps rarely fail on these but they do tend to leak.....it’s only a small extra job to replace it when the belt is off, and it allows more of the old coolant out too.
A Gates kit, for example, can include a belt, pump, tensioners as required and also an auxiliary belt.
John :)

Family member has a Skoda octavia, 1.6 tdi. EGR valves can be a bit flaky in addition to above.

Min of £800 for EGR. That failing causes cold start problems.

History Checks
Cam belt & ancillaries. (water pump is driven by Cam Belt - can be the Tensioner).
Clutch and Flywheel.
Springs.

The clamp 'bridges' on Injectors (have to take the plastic engine cover off) held in place by 6mm studs - if they fail you are heading for an engine fire as the injectors will be forced out of the head. I gather the usual solution is to replace the 6mm studding with 8mm if an injector is changed (independent/AA feedback).

Sponsored Links
Back