What should I understand by 'making good'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I contracted a job to make a wall opening (including installation of steel beam) and install internal double doors. Quote listed materials and labour for steel beam, then 'Making good to a wall opening' and 'fit door'. Pictures below show condition as 'made good' according to the builder (to quote when I queried this: 'We have included making good which is pointing around the steel which has been done'.) Do people agree that this is reasonable on builder's part?

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-13 at 14.16.04_12e58a17.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-16 at 11.43.31_eff0edc8.jpg

Sponsored Links
No, to me making good would be all the plastering around the opening including boxing in the steel, and any repairs to the skirting board and floor and tidying up the wiring. How can he fit doors and a casing with the opening in that state.

Last edited:
Making good is bringing the works up to a standard to match the standard of finish before the job was started, pretty much as above. Though for example if there wasn't a skirting there before the brief would need to say making good + fit new skirting. It's an industry wide standard, though not sure it's defined anywhere so might be difficult to get him to acknowledge that assuming that's the issue.

Sponsored Links
Well he hasn't finished yet, unless you requested an industrial look with exposed acrow props!
As said he cannot fit doors to that.

Finished and made good as shown, according to builder. Turns out he expects me to arrange fireproofing and plastering at this point, then contact him to schedule door installation

Hum…

Has the local building inspector done his work ?

Don’t pay him

Last edited:
I certainly would not be happy with that. I would expect making good to include boarding and plastering.
Painting would not normally be covered.

Hum…

Has the local building inspector done his work ?

Don’t pay him
Yes, I have been liaising with building control. Steel installation approved, they just want to see it again after fireproofing and plastering.

That's actually been made bad, not good.

Making good on this context would include the wall, the plaster and the skirting, all ready for decoration.

Dont pay anymore to builder.

Get another one in who is more conscientious about standard of work / finish.

I guess it depends on price. What did you pay? The price will pretty much indicate if whats been done is reasonable scope or if he should be finishing works for the money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back