What should we do first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We are trying to decide whether to extend or not. Obviously the decision will be mostly down to cost (even a rough estimate for now will do), but also on what will be possible in terms of layout (drains & sewers to consider) and what will most likely be allowed by planning.
The extension won't come under 'permitted development'. I have phoned planning but they weren't helpful at all and just talked over me the whole time.

The dilemma is how do we go about finding out the answers to our questions without getting proper plans drawn up?
Surely no builder or architect would give their time or help for free at this stage?
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Surely no builder or architect would give their time or help for free at this stage?
Quite right. When I started out many moons ago I would sometimes spend hours with a potential client, ending up with nothing in return.
Giving free advice to clients who often don't know what they really want is a mugs game.

I don't know about 'most' builders or architects, but if it was sufficiently nearby, those that I do know would be happy to pop round and offer outline advice for free; I suspect you can find a like-minded individual locally- just ring around, and don't be put off if you're initially met with rejection. It's not a mugs game. Roughly 1 in 5 of those consultations turns into a real project. That's alright.

Well I would certainly keep that helpful builder in mind when choosing one for our extension. A helpful builder is a bonus.

Sponsored Links
If you telephone a local builder , architect or architectural technician with your queries you will get a fair idea what they are prepared to do without being paid anything.

It's similar to the problem many builders have; they can spend hours pricing for jobs off plans and specs, only get a small proportion of jobs.
Many don't even get a 'thankyou for your quote'.
If I'm not mistaken, the building industry is one of the few which do not charge for quoting.

For a designer it's not a matter of spending hours, my free initial consultations are about 30 minutes. You can usually gauge in that time if the scheme is viable, what level of service the client will require, how much your fee should be and most importantly sizing up the client to see if you want to work for them.

I know a lot of builders who also do this, they pop round for a chat and have a quick look around then advise the client to get some plans and hopefully give them my phone number.

Well thank you all for your help.
It's awkward asking if people charge for things but at the same time we have to start somewhere.

Builders, your clients have to feel they could work with you and trust you in order to consider giving you the job. It's not always about price or getting advice for free. It works both ways.
Our last building project was done by a lovely guy. I did all the materials ordering so all he had to do was build it. We worked together well and paid him every week. He built the whole extension on his own in 9 weeks and it was under budget on cost at the end.

Wessex101 are you an architect or an architectural technician? What is the difference? We would want to ensure that whoever draws up our plans, plans for a structural safety and soundness.

I once got asked if I charged a "call out fee", to which I said "Call out fee? Only if I need to fix the washing machine while I'm there". Anyway, the lady later showed me a list of "Call out fees" from some other bloke, and it was like a menu of rates for visits, visits of a certain time, sketches with visits, taking dimensions on visits and such like. Most bizarre.

I know time's money and all that, but part and parcel of this work is visiting and taking the time to assess and explain things. Some feel the need to include that as a charge. I don't. What I do though is determine quite quickly if the person genuinely does not have a clue, or is really just fishing for free advice to then do the work themselves or pass on the cheapest plan monkey they can find - that determines the amount of detail and information that I pass on. I'll happily talk with people for hours for nothing if it's genuine, and those people tend to turn out to be good clients and to pass on recommendations. Otherwise, it's a quick, "Yes that's possible, it will be £x for me to do the plans, I can measure up now or come back".

I once got burned by advising a woman on an only viable extension and roof design for an awkward plot even knocking up a 3D sketch for free because she could not understand it that three or four previous people had told her it was not possible. I heard nothing, only to find that months later the thing was being built and the design was identical to what I had given her. You live and learn.

Anyway, enough about me. OP what you need is a designer - architect or technician or a building surveyor, and not a builder. They will tell you what can be done, what permissions will be needed, and how much it might cost.

' Wessex101 are you an architect or an architectural technician? What is the difference? ' - good luck with explaining that one Wessex101.

' Wessex101 are you an architect or an architectural technician? What is the difference? ' - good luck with explaining that one Wessex101.
Shhh! I'm keeping my head down in the hope they forget they asked the question.

An architect or architectural technician will prepare the design and obtain planning and building regulations approvals. They will usually need to use a structural engineer for any structural calculations required and possibly other consultants ,energy rating consultants for example ,depending on the extent of the scheme. You will of course pay the fees of any consultants used. I could give a list of numerous consultants which could be used on large building projects but these don't apply to smaller schemes like house extensions which are 'usually' fairly straightforward.
Why don't you contact the builder who did your last job for a chat as you were pleased with the way he worked.

Leofric,
The guy who built my last extension was in his 50's and that was 26 years ago. He's either no longer with us or, not up to the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back