What size cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys hopefully a quick one for you. What size cable is required for a 16a 3 phase supply. It is approximately 10-12 meters from panel to required point, for the installation of a walk in freezer for a food hub I’m helping out.

many thanks all

Sponsored Links
What size does the electrician doing the installation say?
What is the actual load?
Why are you asking this question?
Are you planning to do the work?

No mate I’m definitely not doing it. I’m literally just wondering what size cable it requires. We’re trying to get it costed out as cheap as poss and one of the volunteers is a retired spark but I won’t see him till later in the week and I need to cost it ASAP.

An Electrician will determine the cross-sectional area. They won't do this randomly and blindly over the internet though, and such design consultancy is not likely to be a free service. It will be included in the cost of the work.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately i and nobody else on here will be able to help until you have your spark in to asses things, you may require RCD protection if it's not currently on that circuit, the cable will probably need to be protected mechanically so would that be SWA, MICC, or something else. how the cable is installed affects it's current carrying capacity thus affecting cable size. I am not being funny but do you see what i am saying the above is just the start, only a qualified sparky who is on site can design an installation as is has to be signed off. If your volunteer says that you need expensive part "X" then that must be in the installation either that or you must find a more lenient designer. You can't cost an installation until you know exactly what you are going to buy.

I’m just trying to get the size so I can ask a local supplier to donate it as it’s for charity. We currently have loads of fridge freezers that we’re donated and some are failing so a nice local guy bought and donated this and we’re trying to get it commissioned and need this supply for it.

oh well I’ll just have to wait until our volunteer comes in and ask him.
Thanks guys.

The cable will come from the board, up the wall to a tray, about 4m then 90deg bend onto another tray then about 6m then another 90deg to the wall where the engineer want it.

No mate I’m definitely not doing it. I’m literally just wondering what size cable it requires. We’re trying to get it costed out as cheap as poss and one of the volunteers is a retired spark but I won’t see him till later in the week and I need to cost it ASAP.

Have a play with the TLC voltage drop calculator

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html

TBH the cable is not going to cost much, it may only need to be 2.5mm or 4mm......and at only 12metres even if it was 6mm or 10mm the cable isn't going to be a major cost implication, £50 would prob cover it.

As others have said, there's no way of knowing the cable spec, both size and number of cores

Yeah, even if it were 10 milli 4 core, it would only be around £5/6 a metre including the dreaded.

The cable size depends on a few parameters, one of which is design current.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back