What size lintel for a 162cm wide doorway opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to go with 6ft but that would only mean 10cms overlap each end of the lintel. Should I be looking at a slightly longer one or will 10cm be ok? I read 150mm should be the minimum overlap.

Thankyou for your help

Sponsored Links
minimum bearing would be 150mm, so ideally 1920mm, anything a little over that will be fine and they can be cut down, if needs be.

Thankyou. Do lintels have metal bars running through them or is it all concrete? I always assumed they had metal there for I couldnt cut through using a steel wheel.

A concrete lintel will have rebar in it, so when cutting you will require a multi cutting disc, but depending where purchased they may cut it down for you. And if you are lucky enough to live local to a pre-cast concrete manufacturer they should make bespoke sizes.

Sponsored Links
You can cut the pre stressed ones fine, they say make sure you cover the ends with mortar though.
The bearing is needed for shear strength of the beam and the compressive strength of what you're resting it on, so if you've not much above it then you don't need as much. But you might need calculations to satisfy building control so it may not be worth it.

I noticed they do ones without rebar in, the fire resistant ones. Obviously less strong, and probably harder to get hold of, but they exist.

A stone disk will cut steel. But not the other way around.

A 100mm bearing will be ok in most cases but as always, it depends on the loading.

Does anyone know where I can find the 1920mm or thereabouts lintels? I looked on the travis perkins website and couldnt find them.

Cheers

1800mm or 2100mm, so either make the hole smaller or cut one down.
Or just use 100mm bearings.
A diamond disk on an angle grinder/shtil saw cuts them fine.

Thanks guys, I just rang jewsons and they have a 2.1m in stock. On my way to collect it in an hour :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back