Floor Joists On Load Bearing Internal Wall + Door Openings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a two storey extension where one of the internal walls will be load bearing with floor joists running into it. Should I be able to use a single course of 125mm blocks for the wall or is it likely to need something more substantial.
In addition, two existing windows will be taken out to make doorways - the width of these openings will not change. As there are concrete lintels already in place for the windows, are these likely to need changing or should they be ok for the doorways (assuming the normal 150mm end overlap)

Sponsored Links
100mm blocks will be upto the job for a standard ext. (carring joists or not)
As for the lintels. They shouldn't need changing assuming there 140x100's

100mm blocks will be upto the job for a standard ext. (carring joists or not)
As for the lintels. They shouldn't need changing assuming there 140x100's
Unless your new roof or floor bears onto/above the lintel then you should check if they can take the additional loading and beaf them up if needs be

Sponsored Links
I chopped off some of the external render to investigate the extent of the lintel and was surprised to see that it doesn't appear that the outer brickwork course is supported by a lintel - only the inner blockwork course. Was this normal practice for a 1960's house? As I intend to take out the window to make a doorway I am hoping I can keep the inner lintel and fit a concrete lintel on the outer course. Does anyone see a problem with this as I am continuing to draw up my building regs plans and this is what I intend to state on them.

I was surprised to see that it doesn't appear that the outer brickwork course is supported by a lintel - only the inner blockwork course. Was this normal practice for a 1960's house?
Fairly typical.

I am hoping I can keep the inner lintel and fit a concrete lintel on the outer course. Does anyone see a problem with this
Sounds ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back