What size of pipe? Hot water takes 25 secs to reach kitchen!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a 3 story home. I recently did away with the copper cylinder & installed a pressurised one (Santon), but at the same time I moved it up a floor (now on 2nd floor). I noticed that 22mm pipe came in (up from the kitchen) to the orig cylinder at the area in the bathroom and on to the airing cupboard/cylinder (where I replaced all the pipework from - basically I totally re-did the bathroom). So I carried on with 22mm in the bathroom, and up a floor to the new location of the pressurised cyl.

Hot water takes 25 seconds on full to reach the kitchen. Is this literally due to the additional journey the water has to make or should I have used 15mm? A friend advised that pressurised cylinders should all used 15mm pipe and it's the volume that's slowing the journey time down.

If so, would it matter if I replace the 22 with 15 in sections/areas I can do it easily (as there 'are' some areas which I can access without too much hassle)?

Thx 4 any help.

Sponsored Links
You have a g3 ticket i presume? If so you will know all about recirculation?? If not call out someone who does

means you can work on unvented cylinders.

like gas safe is for working on gas.

Sponsored Links
I do all my own plumbing (shows by the pipe screw up, LOL!) - but G3 regardless, it's obviously the pipework which is wrong, I presumed 22 required cos it was supplying the bath, a shower, basin and then downstairs to kitchen sink - just thought it required a bigger volume. Surely the cylinder's in and it's the pipe work and expansion vessel which requires g3, not any pipe throughout the house which comes off it at any point?

your right but if thats wrong it useally means that more vital things will probably be wrong.

If a lot of the pipe is accessible then fit a secondary return loop and pump T'd in as close to the taps as practical.
Wilo do one with all the gizmo's attached. (nrv, timer, stat, legionella protection etc)
Insulate it extremely well and consider upgrading the insulation on the existing hw distribution pipe.

Norcon would you have a link to the wilo circulating system.
I've had a look at their web site and it is very confusing :confused: and can not find it :oops:

Thanks

u mean install a loop system like hotels have so HW is always pumping round all day? Don't these cost a lot to run?

u mean install a loop system like hotels have so HW is always pumping round all day? Don't these cost a lot to run?

Depends how well you insulate the pipework. There will always be a price to pay if you want instant hot water at the taps, and short of electric heat maintenance tape (which will cost even more to run), you don't have many options to choose from.

always fit the grundos with built on time clock.

think its from the comfort range.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back