what size shower can I use will 6mm cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After reading various posts and the cable guide I am a bit confused, so I thought I ask.
I have about a 15m run of 6mm cable with a 30amp fuse.
Whats the biggest size shower I can use?

Sponsored Links
The 30amp fuse limits you to a 7.2kw max shower although the cable will take 9.6kw or 40amps.
The length of the cable (theoretically) makes no difference unless of course it's a couple of miles away !!!

Thanks for the help.
I plan on getting a 8.5kw shower. what size fuse should i use :?:
Also i found out there is joint in the wire under the floorboards using a 30amp wiring block. Will this have to be changed, if so what to :?:
:confused:

Use a 40amp fuse/mcb. Change the innards of the junction box to a larger size that will take 40amps, or better still why not run a new "complete" cable through? (Why is the cable joined?? :eek: )

Sponsored Links
The cable is joined because it was the cable to a electric cooker and was not long enough for the shower.(It was the quickest thing to do at the time)
Do you think it will be alright to use a cooker flex connecter (45A) fixed to a back box and screwed to a beam and left under the floorboards?
Changing the wire would be a lot of work because of where it is routed. :)

I did exactly the same once !!!
Fit a gas cooker and use the electrics for the shower!!!!
As long as the connector can take the amperage (i.e. be in excess of your power take) I personally don't see a problem. It has been known for people to use 45amp strip connectors wrapped in insulating tape to connect cables together and never see a problem. Just make sure that if/when you move, the incoming person knows what you have done and where.
Remember if anything happens you are liable, whereas you know not to bang a nail "just there".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back