What sort of internet bandwidth download speed are you getting and are you rural or urban?

T

teaboyjim

I'm getting around 30 Mbps and I live in a rural location - it's only been upgraded in the last few years and before that it was about only 15% of that roughly
Here is a suitable and safe site to test your connection: https://testmy.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I used to have a T1 connection when all you lot had dial up 56k modems. Installed & paid for by a previous employer who forgot to cancel it when I left, went on for many years . . .

Get your connection test straight from the horses mouth : https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I used to have a T1 connection when all you lot had dial up 56k modems. Installed & paid for by a previous employer who forgot to cancel it when I left, went on for many years . . . Get your connection test straight from the horses mouth : https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
haha :LOL::LOL:- We love your posts Dork Lard!!!
I don't suppose you can remember at the time what the speed was at T1?

Last edited by a moderator:
hahahahahah :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: - We love your posts Dork Lard!!!
I don't suppose you can remember at the time what the speed was at T1?

At the time it was lightning fast, 1,5mbps IIRC . . . . I also used to have a comprehensive list of BT engineering codes & passwords for things like line checks, line upgrades, FREE CALLS etc. Many got changed as they leaked into the public domain . . . but a few still work.

Im not bullshitting when I say that in the Mid to late 90's I was a major player in the internet world. I was instrumental in setting up 'Freeserve' (it wasn't my idea) & channelled most of the funds into CUT that "FORCED" BT to introduce ADSL. I still have many friends in the engineering side of it, I sponsored most of the top earners that wrote the router tables that make all this work.

Sponsored Links
I was sat in my other office (the fag shed) when one of my chaps came to me with a problem. They'd got this laptop in for repair, the store it came from had been on the phone screaming for its IMMEDIATE return "in whatever condition", they also told him it was owned by Paul Gadd. Being a curious sort he fired it up & had a poke around, & that is how we put Gary Glitter in prison.

FTTP is alright on paper & it can be used to bamboozle most of the great unwashed. Whilst it is 'nice' to be connected to your ISP with an astronomical bandwidth, it really does mean NOTHING if your ISP spends all its budget on 'cache' server capacity, rather than the bandwidth capacity of its connection to the backbone.

I just checked mine and saw I was getting this:

3783B6A1-5416-4A7E-BDE4-BE1C41951259.png

So I switched off my router, waited 15 mins, switched it back on again and it’s back to what it should be, this:

F319BDBD-5A84-4F29-829C-49E46F2DB330.png

I must say, I hadn’t noticed any difference - still able to stream Netflix etc

I only need 2 for normal streaming- iPlayer, Firestick etc, about 10 for HD and about 25 for 4K.

I was sat in my other office (the fag shed) when one of my chaps came to me with a problem. They'd got this laptop in for repair, the store it came from had been on the phone screaming for its IMMEDIATE return "in whatever condition", they also told him it was owned by Paul Gadd. Being a curious sort he fired it up & had a poke around, & that is how we put Gary Glitter in prison.

I thought it was a technician at PC world in Bristol.

I thought it was a technician at PC world in Bristol.

He was involved & it was probably him that made the hysterical phone call. The laptop was actually in a repair center in Nottingham.

I saw some of those photo's & I cannot describe the disgust I felt. He is guilty of a lot worse than is in the public domain.

62 down / 15 up. I am with Vodafone. In my other place its 38/7 but its a slower package. Don't seem to need any more, even with two people working on zoom all day. We are quite close to the fibre box at both

He was involved & it was probably him that made the hysterical phone call. The laptop was actually in a repair center in Nottingham.
How/why did a PC world worker in Bristol know what was on a computer in Nottingham?

I just checked mine and saw I was getting this: View attachment 229155 So I switched off my router, waited 15 mins, switched it back on again and it’s back to what it should be, this: View attachment 229156 I must say, I hadn’t noticed any difference - still able to stream Netflix etc I only need 2 for normal streaming- iPlayer, Firestick etc, about 10 for HD and about 25 for 4K.
You've got similar to me
That's super fast you must have Virgin

Sponsored Links
Back