What sort of internet bandwidth download speed are you getting and are you rural or urban?

Sponsored Links
At the time it was lightning fast, 1,5mbps IIRC . . . . I also used to have a comprehensive list of BT engineering codes & passwords for things like line checks, line upgrades, FREE CALLS etc. Many got changed as they leaked into the public domain . . . but a few still work.

Im not bullshitting when I say that in the Mid to late 90's I was a major player in the internet world. I was instrumental in setting up 'Freeserve' (it wasn't my idea) & channelled most of the funds into CUT that "FORCED" BT to introduce ADSL. I still have many friends in the engineering side of it, I sponsored most of the top earners that wrote the router tables that make all this work.
Oh that's interesting, i jumped across a few ISP's back then. Your nickname wasn't Honeymonster was it? :D

Be careful what you use to measure your download speeds. My HP laptop shows 48Mb/s. My smartphone shows 27Mb/s whilst my son's gaming laptop shows 180Mb/s.

Sponsored Links
Be careful what you use to measure your download speeds. My HP laptop shows 48Mb/s. My smartphone shows 27Mb/s whilst my son's gaming laptop shows 180Mb/s.
How could individual devices be different?

Yes not too far from Manchester city centre, should be 600 but often way above that.
So that's about 20 x faster than what I'm getting - incredible when you think back to what was it 56kb/second?

Last edited by a moderator:
How could individual devices be different?

I complained to Virgin my download speeds were low, but when the engineer did his test he monitored 200Mb/s and confirmed the same on my son's gaming laptop.
Its all down to the receiving processor speed(?). My laptop is a cheap HP so would not register that high speed.

Oh that's interesting, i jumped across a few ISP's back then. Your nickname wasn't Honeymonster was it? :D

No, but I used to know Mr. Blobby. Remember 'blobby' disks? 19yrs old he paid £5k for probably the first CD burner in private ownership & made £millions . . .

OK i had a paired ISDN 128k so not quite your T1.

Freeserve wasn't actually the first 'free' ISP. The worlds first free ISP was run out the back of a grocers shop, they had 2000+ incoming lines (earning 0.8p per minute) linked to a paired ISDN signed up to Compuserve. Nobody dialling up ever got a useful internet service, but they had a 70%+ utilisation on the phone lines earning approx £15k per day . . . !

So that's about 20 x faster than what I'm getting - incredible when you think back to what was it 56kb/second? I don't know how to work out the comparison
How much faster is your 700Mbps than the original dialup modems?
So you can download an HD film in a matter of seconds and probably a 4k film in a minute or two
If my cals are correct, a 100mbps connection is 1,785 faster than a 56kbps connection.

Sponsored Links
Back