what sort of steel lintel would suffice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it will be supporting 2mx3m thermolite type blocks , which are 3" thick and half inch sand cement plaster on both sides, no other loads.
the lintel will be 2m long and of course needs to be only 75mm wide.
I thought a catnic or such box lintel would be ample

Sponsored Links
in the backof my mind somewhere there is a limit to the length of concrete?

Sponsored Links
75mm steel box lintel hard to find , maybe special order

Good, found a local steel man. 127x76mm steel beam cheap enough :)
Now the blocks are soft type so will need padstones or steel plates
Which is best for my situation? Pros and cons of each?
Padstones seem to start at 100mm wide, I assume I can just cut them down?

Hmm; what size?
Well with 150mm on both sides and a 2m span 2.3, but since you can't get that size get a 2.4. The load is small soba 100mmx65mm will do.
Same as a standard box lintal, the span and loads are small you don't need a UB.

Hmm; what size?
Well with 150mm on both sides and a 2m span 2.3, but since you can't get that size get a 2.4. The load is small soba 100mmx65mm will do.
Same as a standard box lintal, the span and loads are small you don't need a UB.
Personally I doubt that would work.
Even if you turn the concrete lintel on its' side (so that the depth is 100mm), that is still a span/depth ratio of 20, which is just too much
for concrete.
Additionally, those lintels at that length are susceptible to being cracked while handling. Just too risky IMO - steel is the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back