What sort of wire for a thermosat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to change a rather flakey wireless room thermostat for a wired version.

I will need to run a cable from the CH-controller to the stat which is about 10m a way. I'm using a Drayton digistat+ thermostat

tech details here:- http://www.uk-plumbing.com/brochure/drayton/PlusDigi.pdf .

What type/size of cable will I need to get? Does it have to be a special control type cable or normal electrical cable?

Sponsored Links
What type/size of cable will I need to get? Does it have to be a special control type cable or normal electrical cable?
If you are wiring the thermostat into a wiring centre (junction box), standard 2-core cable will do nicely. But if you are running the cable direct from thermostat to boiler you need to use heat resistant cable - available from B&Q and plumbers merchants, e.g Tower 0.75mm.

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping to directly replace the current 'wireless receiver' that is there at the moment.

It is either wired from the heating junction box or the CH controller used for that heating zone.

I guess I'll find out when i get the wiring diagrams out and the back plates off!

The stat the OP is using does not have an earth connection.
So?

It is a requirement, and has been for many years now, that all accessories points should have an earth terminal. If the actual accessory doesn't require an earth connection the earth wire should simply be left in a safe position and terminated in the box behind the thermostat.

Next year the insulated thermostat might be changed for a nice metal one that does need an earth. That is the reason wiring regs demand the earth connection.

It is a requirement, and has been for many years now, that all accessories points should have an earth terminal.
I only have the 16 edition. If this has been a requirement for "many years", presumably it is in there. If so, where?

Next year the insulated thermostat might be changed for a nice metal one that does need an earth.
Very unlikely. It would be like changing your DAB radio for a crystal set.
Metal stats based on bimetallic strips or liquid/gas filled bellows will soon be unobtainable.

Very unlikely. It would be like changing your DAB radio for a crystal set.
Metal stats based on bimetallic strips or liquid/gas filled bellows will soon be unobtainable.
Ok yes may be a poor example if one wants to be precise.

Trouble is wiring regulations do not say that an earth terminal must be provided at each location EXCEPT this requirement need not be met if the intended accessory type is not available in a non double insulated version.

I'll try find the book later and check actual reg for you later. It came in at same time as twin & E cable started to be used instead of plain twin so yes was a few, as in many, years ago.

We don't yet know what the thermostat will be switching!

Does the OP's system require mains voltage connections to the thermostat, or a 12 Volt / 24 Volt DC signal?

We don't yet know what the thermostat will be switching!

Does the OP's system require mains voltage connections to the thermostat, or a 12 Volt / 24 Volt DC signal?

doesn't really matter, an earth in the cable is the only sensible approach! what ever the voltage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back