What sort of wood for wood panels like this?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Because plastering is so expensive, I'm thinking of doing something like this for our lobby area. It's an inner lobby with no external walls. Currently a mess of old tiles as is was a kitchen before extending.

In thinking it would also be handy to have wood as it'll be much easier to put up shelves etc.

But, what sort to buy? Plan is to paint yellow.

1Office-after-paint.jpg

Sponsored Links
There are building regs about flammable wall linings.

It won’t help much with fixings as the wood panelling is thin and you would need to screw trough.

Search for “tongue and groove interior cladding”.

Tongue and groove pine. Not sure about the plastering being more expensive argument though if you price it all up. Depending on how much you like to get your hands dirty

Sponsored Links
Battening, paint?
Against the cost of skimming a small room if you prep it?

new skirting on top off cladding and battening
you will need a baton on the wall in any position you want to affix any thing heavier than picture
you will need a baton at roof level floor level and 18-22" inbetween
so iff we assume 8ft/2440mm thats top 96"then 77" then 58" /39/ 20/ then bottom
door linings will need padding out to cover cladding edge by about an inch arcitrave new or refitted
any doors opening into and towards the cladded wall will need rehung or will not open more than 90% because the hinge point is now back about an inch

need i go on :D
also they count the tounge as part off the width its actually 88mm coverage so you will need 6.5% more timber cladding or 80 lengths assuming no waste where as 5-10% is likely with good timber

Last edited:
You need butt & bead midfield

It's available in 9mm and 18mm

You could alway do 900mm of it at the bottom and plain mdf above. Then dado rail between.

It usually best to fit this stuff on battens.

I've done this in my garden office, I screwed the sheets up with tongue tite screws from toolstation - tiny heads that are invisible once filled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back