Wood paneling fallen off new wall - please help !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - would appreciate some help here - got a newly plastered wall in the en-suite which the wife had sized and I then glued some T&G wood paneling and skirting to with some non solvent grab adhesive. All appeared nice, flat and tight.

Woke up at about 1am to cracking and popping and found that it was all pretty much hanging off the wall and I had to remove it to stop it crashing down so a complete disaster.

Now what went wrong ?. I see that paint has come off with the adhesive so looks like it may not have been sized properly ?. I also may have used the wrong adhesive ? - did I need solvented adhesive ? that wouldn't break down the emulsion paint ?.

I would also like to know what forces were in play to make the panels pop off in the first place as they were fully supported - did the wood panels (7mm thick) expand overnight and thus forced everything off the wall ??.

Any help would be appreciated, put it here in Building as not sure where it belonged. I really need to avoid make another mess. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Photos please.

I don't have any but please ask about anything that isn't clear.

Plan A for this afternoon is to treat the entire area with plaster sealer, buy new wooden paneling (cant get glue off easily) and then purchase some solvent based adhesive - most likely the green tubed GripFill.

T&G will be constantly expanding and contracting in a humid environment such as a bathroom - it can be a few mm per board.

You need to allow for this in the fitting or choose a more stable material or timber.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a difference between 'a newly plastered wall' and 'the paint came off the wall with the glue'. How newly plastered- if you painted it presumably it has had time to dry properly (at least 2 weeks, maybe more if there's not much ventilation in the room).

And yeah don't glue it. If you can spare the thickness you could batten the wall with 16 x 38 and then secret-nail the panels to the battens. Or if space is really tight then fix a sheet of 6mm ply to the wall and secret nail to that. With both these you need to be aware of pipe runs and cables behind your plasterboard- don't want to put a screw through something wet or live :)

Last one- why are you putting panelling up? Usual reason for using that stuff is to hide a rubbish wall or a void of some sort

T&G will be constantly expanding and contracting in a humid environment such as a bathroom - it can be a few mm per board.

You need to allow for this in the fitting or choose a more stable material or timber.

I thought as much, however the room isn't currently being used so no fluctuations at all at the moment. Unless simply unpacking the stuff and exposing it to the air counts ?. Already done most of the room on top of existing plaster so either need to get this solved or pull the lot down.

Grrip adhesive will pull a plaster skim off.
Can you screw a small batten to the wall and glue to that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back