What stages from start to finish for a loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm thinking of embarking on a loft conversion project to my property. I'm at the very early stages and just trying to educate myself on the whole process from start to finish.

Chronologically I have down the following, please advise if any is out of order and what is missing. I'm sure there's many..

Thanks in advance

Scaffolding
Remove roof tiles battens felt
Install props
Cut hole
Install ridge steel
Make the wooden frame
Felt roof
Tile frame
Install guttering
Install windows

Install joist
Board the flooring
Install electric wiring
Board the walls and skim plaster

Sponsored Links
You may need to install floor bearing steels and get the floor joists in before finishing the roof, otherwise you get the gist.
Logistics usually means getting a lot of stuff (plasterboard, other sheet materials, long timbers etc) into the loft before the roof is closed off. Sometimes this can be via the dormer opening. Otherwise it may mean leaving a temporary access hole before finishing tiling the roof.

That loft conversion won't be much use without any stairs - which are also very useful for taking the other stuff into the loft rather than through the roof.

Equally useful is having a floor to stand on while all the other work is done.

Sponsored Links
That loft conversion won't be much use without any stairs - which are also very useful for taking the other stuff into the loft rather than through the roof.
Loft stairs are rarely straight flight. It is far easier to get as much (larger) stuff up through the loft opening via the scaffold than it is up two flights of stairs that are often winding.

Whenever we build a two storey extension, we board half the floor, shoot all the paperboards up, then board t'uther half.

I think it's the other way around.

The stairs and floor need to go in regardless. So it's easier to get them in, sort the floor out and then do the rest of the work. Doing all the floor gives a good base to work off for any structural roof work, and means less risk of cracking ceilings while hopping between ceiling joists.

This also means that scaffold costs and daily roof sheeting is kept to a minimum.

I would not like to be taking stuff up a scaffold if I could help it.

Just shows horses for courses, my personal order has always been front roof and veluxes to let light in then floor steels, joists and flooring as far as stair trimmers. ridge steels in and back roof off and materials up back scaffold if access allows. Where possible I like to leave the stairs till much later in the build so as to reduce disturbance to the client.
That said I am currently converting my own loft and access has had to be through the house, so the first thing to come down was the landing ceiling.

floor need to go in regardless. So it's easier to get them in, sort the floor out and then do the rest of the work. Doing all the floor gives a good base to work off for any structural roof work, and means less risk of cracking ceilings while hopping between ceiling joists.
Never said anything different regards the floor. Did you read my first post?
This also means that scaffold costs and daily roof sheeting is kept to a minimum.
Makes little difference. The scaffold is likely to be up (and idle) regardless. Off sets the cost of sheeting or protecting the stairs, especially relevant if the stairs are finished product.

I would not like to be taking stuff up a scaffold if I could help it.
The gear is chained up and long stuff is passed straight to the bloke on the top lift. Easy peasy. Have you never worked on a scaffold Woodleg? Ever tried carrying sheets through an occupied house up two storeys? Tell yer what, Ill time you and you can time me, as long as it's not raining. Have fun with those 4.8's and them 8' x 4's:sneaky:

Last edited:
Where possible I like to leave the stairs till much later in the build so as to reduce disturbance to the client.
Same here bud. We use a short ladder. The stairs can be more of an obstacle in the early stages, than an advantage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back