What system for C/H and H/W for bungallow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just bought a rather dilapidated bungalow.
It had an old condemned boiler that has been disconnected and now need to start from scratch.The property needs a central heating system and hot water supply.
I need to run new feed to the kitchen, bathrooms and toilet so really am staring from scratch.
From what I understand a megaflow system would be the best way to go for hot water but this may seem stupid but can I also run with and a boiler to supply the central heating.
The mains stopcock is in 15mm so not sure about the pressure.The mains is at the back of property in the kitchen and runs from the front under the floor which in concrete so a bit difficult to replace with new blue pipe.

Help !!!!

Sponsored Links
You have several options.

1) As you mentioned a heat only boiler plus an un-vented mains hot water cylinder, although these need at least 3-4 Bar mains water pressure and a flow of around 20 litres/min to get the full benefit from them. They also really need a 22mm cold supply, so possibly you would need to replace your incoming main from the street with 25mm plastic.

2) Heat only boiler, vented cylinder, cold storage tank in loft

3) Combi boiler, works off mains pressure, large ones will give in excess of about 15 litres/min if you have that available at mains inlet. Suitable for a one bath property. Combis do not want to supply more than one hot outlet at a time.

4) Storage combi, combi boiler that has small hot water storage tank built in to help give a greater flow rate from hot taps. Larger and bulkier in appearance.

With all combis your eggs are in one basket if boiler develops fault, Hot water cylinder, which ever version will have immersion back up for hot water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back