What tape, insulating suspended floor advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a 1930's house with a wooden suspended floor and air bricks back and front, and it gets very cold in the winter as the floor gets cold and there are drafts.

I have tried various cures in the past which did not make much difference but I am going with a more involved one this time.

I spoke to a guy in the council who was supposed to be the expert on this and he advised installing Kingspan or Celotex type stuff between the joists, so I have got my insulation sheets now and I am going to get some battens to mount on the joists to hold it up against the floorboards but on researching this a bit on the net some people just lay it in place and some recommend taping across the joists so bearing in mind the joists are about 50mm wide I am looking to get 100mm tape.

I prefer the taping idea as I think it will help if there are any gaps as I know you can cut those sheets quite well but not 100% perfect. Once all taped it would almost give me a sheet of protection.

Does it matter what tape I use, some places sell 100mm foil tape and say it is insulation tape but it just looks like ordinary foil tape and is £10 a roll, seems like it may be a bit of a rip off at that price and any decent tape may do, for instance I can get duck or cloth tape for £3 or £4 per 50m roll and considering what I am doing wont this be fine or can someone see a problem with this idea?

The cost will mount up to quite a difference with the amount of rolls I will need, I am not just being tight, but I am not rich.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Use expanding foam to seal any gaps between the insulation edges and joists, no need for the tape. An alternative to the battens is nails popped into the side of the joists at the right level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back