Hellllllp please - Visqueen double sided DPM jointing tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've applied some Visqueen double sided DPM jointing tape to a new section of Visqueen DPM that is going to be used to extend an existing DPM.

The problem I've got is the backing paper will not come off the tape and Visqueen technical services have been about as much use as a chocky tea pot.

The destructions on the tape roll advise to keep the tape warm coz it will lose its tackiness if it gets cold. So it's been stored inside the house.

Once applied the tape has been firmed down well by hand with a cloth and this may be the problem because if the tape gets to warm, like being firmed down by rubbing or left in the sun it will warm up; the tape then sticks to the backing paper.

Anyone got any ideas how to overcome this problem without replacing the whole sheet of DPM and applying new tape?

Sponsored Links
Unless you are installing a gas membrane then just use duct tape or simply lap one over t'uther.

Noseall,
The DPM is not being used a gas membrane and our BCO won't accept duct tape as the adhesive will eventually give up. Also I'm having to work through a 2 inch gap, between the top of some mini-piles and the underside of the remainder of the existing concrete slab, so ensuring a good joint with single sided tape, especially at the edges will be real difficult. The visqueen stuff seemed ideal.

Joe,
The Screwfix tape appears to be single sided, hence, for the same reasons as above, it may not be much good.

Visqueen have told me they don't get problems like I've described but then go on to say that if the tape gets to warm, e.g left out in the sun, the backing paper sticks to the tape. durrr!

Any more ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
If your DPM is not a radon barrier then your BCO is a knob if he wont let you use duct tape etc not sure what his reasoning is on this one
:rolleyes:

mikric,

He's a she, presumably with no knob. I think the reasoning behind not using duct tape is that the adhesive used on some duct tape is not permanent.

Ok :oops: lol how much of a lap do you have ? must be a small one if SHE is insisting on using double sided,why don't you take it back to your supplier, not fit for purpose etc

Is it actually necessary to use any sort of tape at all? My builders just overlapped the DPM and left it at that.

mikric,

The overlap is 225mm.

I've just had a call from Visqueen who have told me that the tape I have was withdrawn about 3 years ago because of the problem I'm having. The tape I have is black and the newer stuff is blue. Time for a row with the wholesaler, me thinks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back