What the... ? Corroding copper pipes - pinholes.

We've had this in a 20 year old house in Lancashire, soft water area. It brought a ceiling down. The rest of the pipe had little green spots in it so I was relieved when we sold the house soon afterwards.

Sponsored Links
As Shambolic & Softus has said that the only way to solve your problem is to completely replace the affected copper. It was during the copper shortage that we were using imported copper that was a poor quality. I have had to replace lots with exactly your problem also tried lots of different ways to repair only to find it pin holes in a new place in a very short time.

Peruse, I'd agree with that too. The nature of the problem would suggest that even copper in the system that has yet to fail, but exposed to the same conditions, would also need to be carefully inspected. To attempt minor repairs may be a false economy.

Sponsored Links
Agreed on the soft water point - I come across this problem in some parts of Devon too. At least some of the cause may be electrolytic corrosion, and earth bonding of pipework can help to alleviate the problem.

My sixpennyworth.

In Stevenage, Herts, a notoriously hard water area, a whole estate many years ago awoke to find floods on the ground floor.

The copper, bought in during the shortages and improperly manufactured and cleaned was fine with a patina of scale but as water was bought in from other source area as a water supply grid developed the scale was erroded and the minerals in the new supply got to work on the imperfect tube. Couldn't get a length of 15mm for 30 miles.

Hard water is good!

Interesting point on the earth bonding as I believe it can lead to faster errosion of copper cylinders and radiators in bathrooms that are cross bonded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back