What to do about ext door for cupboard under the stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, in my house we have a 4 foot high (or so) external door under the stairs which has access to the gas meter.
The main problem is in the winter i can feel cold air coming through the stairs.
Also it's a bit of a security risk..see pic 2 .(probably even more now that I've uploaded these photos....won't keep 'em up for long!)

Some Pics:
Also wondering about the 'window' to the right of the door, this has the boiler in it. the wood has holes in letting in cold air.
http://c.imagehost.org/view/0272/uptoaug2_024.jpg
That cupboard you can see in the background is to the hallway of the house!
http://c.imagehost.org/view/0280/uptoaug2_025.jpg
the gas meter and stairs....
http://c.imagehost.org/view/0187/uptoaug2_026.jpg

The options I can think of are to have it bricked up and access gas meter from a new indoor door!
Or...to simply insulate the stairs.
Or...to have a double glazed door fitted instead (custom size?)

Perhaps the favoured option is the double glazed external door as this would mean that we could store bikes or whatever else there in future.
But on the flip side we have little spare cash floating about so it would be good to know a cheap option also.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Eric

Sponsored Links
looks like a fairly typical 1960's build.

in fact i had a similar scenario at my own house. i bricked up the outside and gained entry from inside, below the stairs.

only i shifted my meter to a built-in-cavity type box on an external wall. ;)

If you improve the door to make it draught-proof, then you risk condensation/rot issues due to no or poor ventilation.

You could fit a better door, but keep some ventilation.

Then insulate the stair soffit, and seal around the flight

Thanks for your replies, sorry i'm so clueless in this area...

When you say there is a risk of condensation/rot is this related to the gas meter?

Would there be any point in insulating and sealing the stairs without making any changes to the door?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
At the moment the store is cold but air is getting around it, and preventing condensation forming, or allowing it to evaporate if it does.

Shut off the circulation, and there is a risk of warmer air cooling on the floor or walls, raising humidity and allowing mould to grow, and possibly form on the timber. It's nothing to do with the meter

Yes insulating, or just sealing around the stair soffit will be worthwhile. A sheet of insulation backed plasterboard will do. But skim plaster it afterwards to maintain fire protection.

If draughts are the problem on the stairs then just sealing the gaps will stop this

thanks again for your help. any ideas on the best way to source a replacement door?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back