What to do about my ridiculous concrete driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have an enormous concrete driveway, a legacy of a previous owner, and I would like to gravel the entire area as it is quite handy having this much off road parking.

In the attached picture, the only one I have - hence it being from November 2010, you'll see the size of area I'm talking about. It's the drive with the Saab and the Audi in.

The trouble is, the concrete is about two feet deep. I know this because I have drilled some of it out to put a plant in by the front door.

Picture is available here

//www.diynot.com/network/TryItTom/albums/

Should I dig up the concrete and use it as hardcore? That is essentially my question.

It will take hours and a lot of manpower and machinery to dig all that concrete up, and I'm wondering if I couldn't put the gravel on top?

Thank You
Tom

Sponsored Links
I had the saME PRoblem, I managed to break up a little of the conc but a large area by the garage was solid as anything. I put down 25mm golden gravel on top of the lot, nice and deep, it just finds it's own way and beds itself together.

You may get tracks from your car but a simple rake will sort it out. Mine has all compressed together over the years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back