What to do when the old holes are wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing a door hinge and I find the old screw holes don't line up. For the sake of argument, top and bottom holes are half a diameter out and the middle one is a diameter out so new screws aren't going to find enough wood to purchase properly.

How do I solve that one? Or maybe what shouldn't I do?!

Sponsored Links
Plug the holes tightly with wooden pegs - even matches can do - and apply some pva glue first. tap the pegs home with a hammer, and trim off the surplus with a chisel.
Once the glue has dried, use a fine pilot drill where you want the new screw to be. It'll work fine.
John :)

check you have hinge right way round strongest part of leaf goes on frame. is it a steel hinge or chemical brass, 3 or 4inch,

Sponsored Links
See the hinge knuckle (pivot)? The bit with the 3 knuckles is the strongest side - it goes on the frame. The other 2 knuckled bit goes to the door.
John :)

Well every day is a school day.

Just had a look around the house, and all the hinges are fitted either way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back