What to do with a field?

Sponsored Links
Unbelievably, turning farm land into a cultivated garden can fall foul of planning. You will probably need permission.

There was a case on the TV a while back, where a couple had bought a small field next to their house and extended their garden into the field. Council jobsworths made them reinstate it as a field.

There was a case near here some years ago, just like that. A couple in West Hallam had bought a field at the end of their garden and over some years had turned it into a typical English Garden. The local council picked it up during a survey and took them to court to turn it back into fallow land.

Unbelievably, turning farm land into a cultivated garden can fall foul of planning. You will probably need permission.

There was a case on the TV a while back, where a couple had bought a small field next to their house and extended their garden into the field. Council jobsworths made them reinstate it as a field.

There was a case near here some years ago, just like that. A couple in West Hallam had bought a field at the end of their garden and over some years had turned it into a typical English Garden. The local council picked it up during a survey and took them to court to turn it back into fallow land.

I know councils cant let anybody do what they want and have got to have restrictions an what can/cant be done but in that case turning into a garden and then telling them to put it back is pathetic .....

I would convert it to allotments as everyone knows that the waiting list for one now is anything up to 40 years in some parts of the country. This would satisfy the council I feel because they are under pressure to provide more space for allotments and you may even find that there could be funding or Grants available for this purpose. It would also satisfy the ethics of his reason for wanting to acquire the land as he could dictate the terms of lease and what can or cannot be kept on them. My allotment site has a policy of no sheds as it is known as a Model Allotment so terms can be put in any Agreement with plot holders.

Sponsored Links
I'm not suggesting that you ban sheds as I would like one myself but just showing that he could dictate the terms of any lease offered.

Get a few strobes, some decent cd's and some pillocks to walk around the field, looking weird and you've got an accurate remake of the Olympic opening ceremony. Save a copy of the film and when we next host a tournament sell the footage to the British organizers. Maybe a few years wait but you'll make a mint!!!!!! ;)

Get a few strobes, some decent cd's and some pillocks to walk around the field, looking weird and you've got an accurate remake of the Olympic opening ceremony. Save a copy of the film and when we next host a tournament sell the footage to the British organizers. Maybe a few years wait but you'll make a mint!!!!!! ;)

or even Blackpool :) :D

or even Blackpool :) :D

Your bang out of order! I did not say people rolling around and vomiting in the street did I! :mrgreen:

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to respond , although I'm slightly disappointed there wasn't the "feed the tree hugging communist lentil eater a pork pie" from you know who :LOL:
In fairness there are some good ideas and many along the lines of what we were thinking ourselves.
There's no planning permission on this land but my friend is cynical when he looks at the current approach to green belt.
Difinately no go cart track though I think the site would be almost ideal but he does want something more peaceful.
Alotments would be good but at a little under 20 miles outside of the nearest large town (Welshpool) perhaps too far away?
The two options he does like are the eco campsite and the animal resuce center. The first would involve a certain amount of investments to lay in toilets and infastructure and he has looked at those yert type of tents and aim up market.
The animal center would need funding so would involve setting up a charity but a bigger stumbling block pointed out by his brother, also a vegetarian , is that he's never kept animals in his life (apart from goldfish) let alone sick or abused ones.
As I said the land is currently leased for grazing but from what he can make out the current owner doesn't seem to make that much from it. I'll admit I don't know what aid is available to pasture land in the way it is to arable land. The idea to grow cannabis isn't a million miles away as hemp can be grown on set aside I believe although it's not narcotic but used in the paper trade.
The tree planting is also another good idea worthy of futher research. Grants, plus once planted relatively little to do maintenance wise and very little chance of rustling. I did suggest along the same lines to burn wood to make charcoal. Not the cheap crap that's a hard as brick and found on garage forecourts but better quality soft stuff used by artists and thus more expensive.
The idea about turning it into a garden center type of thing would be good but sooey I think it was did say "if he's young enough". My friend is in his early fifties so not sure about that. On a similiar vein I suggested using it as an area for gardeners both pros and not to diposit their waste which could then be rotted down , bagged and sold as fertilizer but he wasn't too keen on that one.
zorbing ????

Turn half of it into an allotment and the other half into a grave yard.

At least the old people can have a go in both parts of the field.

Andy

Andy is it wrong of me to think of your idea and add crop rotation into the equation , after all all that new organic matter going to waste :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back