What to do with door frame now door is removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just spent a week stripping and staining the three doors in our living room which is being redecorated.

My wife has now decided she prefers the doorway without the door there.

My DIY skills definitely fall short of being able to install a door arch so I wondered if anyone had any ideas on what to do?

I think the doorway might look odd if I just leave the frame as it is. It'll always look like a door is missing.

Should I remove the door frame and just leave it square? Should I leave the door frame in place? Should I try to install an arch.

The other problem is that a new carpet is being fitted tomorrow which makes me reluctant to get involved in anything too heavy (plastering etc).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kev

Sponsored Links
Leaving the frame will as you say just look daft. You won't be able to remove the frame without some making good ie plastering. If you have carpets going down tommorow then they're gonna have to leave some slack or you'll end up with a little hole in the carpet. You need to match the skirting too.

If you want to do a good job you need to be prepared to have a go at plastering or get someone in.

Arches are pretty unfasionable these days IMO anyway better to just leave it rectangular.

Have a read here though if you want really want an arch and do the bulk of work yourself and just get a bloke in for the plastering //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=507268#507268

When you say "leave it rectangular" I take it you mean remove the door frame and plaster to make it nice or is there another way to finish it off?

Sponsored Links
When you say "leave it rectangular" I take it you mean remove the door frame and plaster to make it nice or is there another way to finish it off?
There is but depends what you want, I've got fed up looking at my square opening therefore.................. ;)

This opening I've made it wider because of a heavy traffic and on a bend :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back