What to do with slack cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rather silly looking slack cable I can't work out how to deal with. Clipping it to the skirting board still doesn't look right. What's the pro solution?

slack-cable.png

cable-clipping.png

Sponsored Links
You either need more slack (so it drops vertically to and from the skirting) or cable tie it to the mounting brackets so you have a horizontal run from the fcu to behind the heater. Even better would be move the heater to the left or move the fcu so it's under the heater (prob not worth the effort of that one tbh)

The cable was longer and I did cut it. Obviously that's a mistake. So, I need it to go vertically down and up. I imagine it will run side ways immediately above the skirting board, and the clip nail will go in at 45 degrees into the round bit of the board? If the cable is too short now, I can change to a new one.

Sponsored Links
It's really an aesthetics thing exactly how you do it- safety wise not kinked, not stretched and not a trip hazard are the objectives.

Move socket or move heater.
If plasterboard feed cable behind board.
Problem is socket it too far away from heater

safety wise not kinked.
How can you turn 90 degrees on the cable without kink?

Move socket or move heater.
If plasterboard feed cable behind board.
Problem is socket it too far away from heater
Moving socket would require notification and electrician. If I am as heavily loaded in the wallet as most people here are, I wouldn't be here. I would be busy hiring an army of workers. Actually, I did do that and the funny looking slack was caused by them. It wasn't this funny looking before they touched it.

The heater is centrally aligned with a window above. Moving that would make it look in the wrong position.

D-I-Y bodge method I'd employ:
It might work. I can't handle complexity and bulk. To me the trunking itself will stick out visually.

How can you turn 90 degrees on the cable without kink?
You turn it with a gentle bend which is within the minimum bending radius of the cable that you are using. This might require you to use a larger piece of trunking to accommodate the bend.

Looks to me that there "just" might be enough cable to drop vertically from heater and fcu if the cable ran along the top of the skirting

I would bury a cable in the wall from the FCU to a hidden flex outlet behind the heater, and possibly move the heater across to the left slightly so that it's slightly closer to the FCU (window symetry allowing :)) That way you aren't moving the FCU, and only making a connection to its load terminals, as you would if you just changed the heater for another one.

slack-cable.png

Last edited:
I have a rather silly looking slack cable I can't work out how to deal with. Clipping it to the skirting board still doesn't look right. What's the pro solution?

View attachment 285553

View attachment 285554
It would look considerably better if you clipped it to the very top of skirting board, with the clips at say 7" intervals, with any cables kinks smoothed out.

You may like to consider some white D-line trunking just above the skirting board - which will blend in with the skirting board very nicely.

I would use trunking and make it as below, nice and neat and more importantly safe:

Attachments

• trunk.png
    trunk.png
    319.3 KB · Views: 25
Why do you need the trunking down the side and along the bottom of the radiator?

Just have it running in behind the radiator for a short distance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back