What to do with this mess in front garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of removing the tree from the middle.

Leveling ground with the drive and putting down some artificial grass.

ANy one suggest any better ideas?

My concern with levelling is i might expose raw brick work. What can i do to get around this?

Pictures attached.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• EAFC987F-D0D0-4000-9DFE-5A8ED82D464E.jpeg
    EAFC987F-D0D0-4000-9DFE-5A8ED82D464E.jpeg
    742.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 1D970D9C-28A4-4832-B3BD-FB4901BCD4A5.jpeg
    1D970D9C-28A4-4832-B3BD-FB4901BCD4A5.jpeg
    666.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 84833026-38F4-45F5-AD66-B015BD4989C3.jpeg
    84833026-38F4-45F5-AD66-B015BD4989C3.jpeg
    640.9 KB · Views: 232
Sponsored Links
Plan in the future is to level off wall and install wrought railings.
Drive entrance is to the right of the pic - again plans are to have a electric gate which would slide off towards the area in question. Ideally need something which creates no miss and is virtually maintenance free.

I have a shrubbery on the other side of the front garden.

I'd be concerned that you'd be forever clearing and cleaning the plastic grass.

If it were my front garden I'd prune the tree, and then cut the grass until the weeds got bored and died, and the grass turned into a lawn

Sponsored Links
Artificial grass is the devils work! They make it sound you put it down and forget about it. Nothing could be further from the truth. It requires brushing to keep it looking half decent and unless you buy top quality expensive stuff and lay it EXACTLY as the instructions state it will be a failure. Weeds may start to grow through it and it does lose it's colour eventually.
Dig a hole around the base of the tree to expose the root system. Cut through as many roots as possible, including the tap root at the centre. Remove as much of the stump as possible so you end up with a decent hole where it used to be. Do not use chemicals to try and kill any remaining stump, cutting the roots and the tap root will have the same effect without poisoning the soil. Rotavate the rest of the area and level off. Any hollows should be filled in with good quality topsoil and either seed or turf for the best results.
Where the gate is intended to slide back you could lay a double row of paving blocks to keep the path clear.

I'd be concerned that you'd be forever clearing and cleaning the plastic grass.

If it were my front garden I'd prune the tree, and then cut the grass until the weeds got bored and died, and the grass turned into a lawn
#metoo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back