What to look for in a mitre saw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm not in the trade but I'm keen to get a bit of professional advice on buying a mitre saw (I'm embarking on a serious decking and woodwork project).

I'm going to need a mitre saw and although I've been to plenty of sites I'm a bit overwhelmed by the numbers of saws out there.

What are the top 5 things I need to think about? I'll be cutting a huge range of wood thicknesses and angles and I don't mind spending money on a good quality tool if it's going to save me time and last me a few years (£250??)

I'm guessing it's things like accuracy...double bevel...no. of settings...width/breadth of cut...leg stand...anything else

Basically, what will cause me most pain if I don't get the right saw??

Many thanks

Sid

Sponsored Links
Things to look out for,,, Depth of cut, width of cut (both at 90° and 45°) Wattage of the motor, size of blades etc.

Probably for decking, a sliding mitre saw would be better, as you get a wider cut both at 90 and 45 degrees.

Definately get a sliding one if you can stretch, and for 250 you definately will be able to. It's more versatile, very few times do you cut anything over 3 inch thick with it but more likely you'll want to cut something thin but wide.

I would opt to have a better saw and only have a single bevel cut instead of getting a double bevel one. I have a bosch blue 10" sliding mitre saw and am very pleased with it, cannot remember what it retailed at although you could prob get a very good second hand tool off ebay or the like, perhaps from someone like yourself who has only had it for one or teo jobs. More bang for your buck.

A really nice blade is essential for finishing work IMO, sadly mine got ruined when I had to cut a load of laminate :(

Sponsored Links
1john is right forget the double bevel, 10" blade is a must nothing smaller. its worth paying a bit more for the bosch blue, I now have one and its great. I started off with a £180.00 ish one that was rubbish and was pleased to see the back of it.

Probably not so important for decking but if you get a sliding one get one that slides on two runners as you get less wobble I believe.

Also save some money for a decent blade as the ones you get with even mid priced saws are generally pants.

I have a lot of experience with these,
The double bevel is a nice feature, but the most important is the sliding type, I have had both and get the one with the slide. You wont regret it, also buy a mitre saw stand, they are great as well. Nothing smaller that 250mm blade, if you can find a good cheap 300mm blade this is the real business.

Speaking from buying cheap ones......

Check that hey will go to 45 degrees both directions when the clamps are in.

I'm going to spend a bit more time looking at specific machines then I might come back for a second opinion.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back