What to look for in a roofing contractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Most of the houses in my area are having their roof redone and we are starting to see signs that our roof needs replacing. My question is mostly to do with what I should be looking for in a good roofing contractor. Do all those TradeMark, NRFC, CITB accredited, etc count for alot or should I just go on reccomendation? I'm in Welwyn Garden City in Herts. Our house is a modern built (60's) with loft conversion style ceiling (ie : no attic or loft)

Secondly, I'd like to get the best insulation possible. A neighbour has had his roof done with aluminium backed foam. Is this over the top? Is there something better than this for loft conversion style insulation? Would replacing my current ceiling with insulated plasterboard make a noticeable difference?

Thanks in advance for you replies!

Redline

Sponsored Links
I would take no notice what so ever of the various trade federations,i used to be in them but stopped many years ago,most are just intrested in getting your money regradless of reputation.To get in master builders all you need is 3 refrences of work,public liability and proof of trading for 3 years.There is a con man in my area,he is a well known con man and he is in master builders,federation of roofing contractors and fair trades aprroved.I even know a guy that informed these federations of his reputation yet he is still in them.He has been jailed twice i know off for ripping old dears off.You want someone who has been around for a while,has worked for people you know and comes recomended.Beware of the guys in the yellow pages with the biggest adverts and a mass of telephone numbers(from what i know these tend to be the cowboys)same with local papers.Although its not always the case if your any good you dont need to spend a fortune on adverts,the work will come to you.

Thanks for your answer. Are there ANY associations or federations that merit a little bit of attention?

My first thought is to go with the roofer that has done quite a number of homes in this area. I do want to get a few quotes though, so where do I start looking for other contractors?

Any thoughts on my other questions?

thanks for the input, it's really appreciated

Redline

Thanks for your answer. Are there ANY associations or federations that merit a little bit of attention?

My first thought is to go with the roofer that has done quite a number of homes in this area. I do want to get a few quotes though, so where do I start looking for other contractors?

Any thoughts on my other questions?

thanks for the input, it's really appreciated

Redline
I would take all federation membership with a pinch of salt.I really would just stick to roofers thats recomended to you personally.If you start in the yellow pages,internet or press it really is a lottery.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Insulation should be of prime concern, foil backed cellotex, etc is a good product and can be purchased in many thicknesses. (The thicker the better) However it is important that the roofer is familiar with cold roof warm roof story and does the required job to overcome condensation problems. Good Luck

As said previously, you wont beat personal reccomendation. Big yellow ads, and all the logos one sees will be paid for by you.
If there is a couple of new roofs near by ..knock and ask the owner, if they were happy they will say so..
Three quotes should get you in the right ball park

Insulation, foil board is the best approved just now. Multi foil insulation is good too while keeping the built up depth to a minimum.

What to look for in a contractor :?: L O V E on one set of knuckles and H A T E on the other :idea:

I found that the best way was to ring the roofing contractor and see if they could provide you with examples of their work. Time consuming but rules out the idiots who don't want you to talk to customers. Someone that shows up on time to give you a quote is always good too!

I may be a girl but in my opinion rubber is best!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back