What to seal external windows with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on how to go about repairing old window frames on my house... :eek:

As you'll see from the pics, the skirting/cill (?) around the window was very badly damaged, so I've chiseled out the damaged part and now need to seal and finish it off with new timber.

So..., I was wondering what sealants/fillers I should use before the wooden frame/skirting goes in front...

Should I buy "Caulk" to fill the gaps behind the skirting or Silicone?
I'm thinking I should use "Caulk" behind the skirting then use Silicone for any imperfections on the outside (Skirting external side)?

Any advice on the how to paint the masonry cill would also be appreciated.

View media item 37771
View media item 37772
View media item 37773
View media item 37774

Thanks

Sponsored Links
badboilerz,

For the actual stone/concrete masonry cill I would remove the existing paint with either a chemical stripper such as "Strip Away" or with a hot air gun. Once the paint is removed from the masonry cill make good any cracks etc and then sand it to get a reasonable finish. Finally, give it three coats of a masonry paint such as Dulux Trade Weathershield Smooth Masonry Paint (water based).

For the 1st coat of masonry paint you can dilute the paint with 10% or 15% water to thin it as the 1st coat will soak into the cill, follow it up with two further coats undiluted.

As for the sealant and the window frames I am not sure about decorators caulk, there are specific frame sealants available that might be more suited to outdoors use. However, I think that others on the forum are more expert in this area so best to wait for a few more replies. For what its worth, I have used "Geocel Top Gun Frame Sealant" to seal some gaps round window frames but I am no expert in this area.

Rgds
Jack

With such a large gap a pvc fillet along the bottom after sealant would look neater.

Sponsored Links
I'm less than a beginner but I know for a fact that silicone lasts no time at all and peels off easily, at least on our house though I expect weather exposure has a lot to do with it. I know of joiners who seal (wooden) windows with caulk but I've been advised here and in real life by others that caulk has no weatherproofing qualities and even if you paint it the frost will get it. I'm trying to figure out what to use at the moment (but my windows are wooden) and am about to post on that very subject!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back