What trade should I look for to update a staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I hope this is the right place to post. I'm really sorry if not!

We have an old 1970s open tread staircase with metal banisters which are spidnyl, wobbly and too far apart. Eventually we want to totally replace the staircase, but that's too big a job for us to do right now so we want to make it safe for when our baby becomes mobile as right now she could fall through at several places.

The issue is that we don't know where to look to find someone who can replace the banisters and close up the treads. Should I get a proper staircase guy (who would be annoyed at the small scale of the job), a carpenter or just a handyman (as it's probably quite straightforward and we're not too fussed about it looking top notch at the end)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I totally would. I reckon I could do it pretty easily, but the problem is the aforementioned baby. She's still a bit too young to be left with someone else (and the grandparents are very unreliable) and my partner and I don't really have any time when we're both free.

Carpenter would be suitable enough. Staircase companies generally won't come out for repair works unless perhaps it's to a staircase they fitted.

If you post by more information, pictures etc, people here can give you more than enough information to DIY

Sponsored Links
There are possible child safety issues so get a professional joiner in to do the work.
In the meantime, you could contact a staircase supplier's tech dept. for a heads up - there might be a makers label below one of the lower treads?

Back