What Trade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK guys heres one for debate and I'm sure you will all be wanting to promote your favorite.
The debate (or my dilemma) is this. My son is about to leave the armed forces and has been given the opportunity to retrain in a trade. He is a hands on outdoor person so office and factory work would not suit.
Therefore what trade do you think he should go for taking into consideration the current job market and of course the best paid.
Open to suggestions.

Regards
Sacko

Sponsored Links
Not one of those 6 week rip-off cowboy courses I hope.

Depends what he wants to do himself though.

If it was me choosing, I would probably choose to be an electrician, got a few mates who are electricians and they are never short of work.

I agre that he should go with what he wants to do, assuming he has some sort of preferance. Plumbing/Elec/Gas has (from what ive seen as a non-trade) more formal qualifications that say joinery and I would say there is milage in being multi talented to a certain degree, so that you can (say) do both the plumbing and joinery required to install a decent bathroom solo.

But I will be very interested in the following comments myself.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
What job did he do in the forces?

What are his skills?

His hobbies?

OK guys heres one for debate and I'm sure you will all be wanting to promote your favorite.
The debate (or my dilemma) is this. My son is about to leave the armed forces and has been given the opportunity to retrain in a trade. He is a hands on outdoor person so office and factory work would not suit.
Therefore what trade do you think he should go for taking into consideration the current job market and of course the best paid.
Open to suggestions.

Regards
Sacko

Upto him to decide really, what options has he been given and what does he like out of those options? He'll have to weigh up what's most important to him, money, the outdoors, location etc etc

What are his skills?

His hobbies?
He is in the Queens Dragoons ( driving tanks basically) Long term he would like to enter property development so maybe joinery would be good.

Dont think it would be a cowboy course its organised br the MOD

I took on a young guy to be a carpenters apprentice who really wanted to be a bricklayer, but I did not know that at the time. He did his 3years, did well in his college work and i had no complaints with his work. But as carpentry was never really in his blood, he left my employ when qualified but only to do a driving job. He is now signing on unemployed.

I don't know if it is possible but I am wondering if your lad can find a largish building company who will employ him for a few weeks and let him go out for a few days with all the trades so he can find his niche. But whatever he does, he has to want to do it.

The biggest problem I can see with carpentry is not getting an adrenalin rush that he would have been used to getting with his army background! So what about getting qualified for some sort of Civil Construction, heavy plant, 360 deg diggers, and the like? That would give him a fair bit of travelling around the county laying roads and building bridges and the like!

What are his skills?

His hobbies?
He is in the Queens Dragoons ( driving tanks basically) Long term he would like to enter property development so maybe joinery would be good.

Dont think it would be a cowboy course its organised br the MOD

Best to ask what he wants to do first, or would like to do, it also depends how good he is with lateral thinking on the job.

Wasn't being nasty when I mentioned cowboy courses, there's too many wanting to grab his money see the thread in the link.

//www.diynot.com/forums/trade-talk/anyone-else-done-a-fast-track-trade-course.333392/

The biggest problem I can see with carpentry is not getting an adrenalin rush that he would have been used to getting with his army background!

If he was up on a roof and fell off it he would have quite an adrenalin rush. Particulary out over the eaves of a two storey!

If he likes the outdoors and has basic skills how about something for the forestry commission. As a Ranger say, they don't just patrol a forest. They are involved with all kinds of maintenance such as fence building, dry stone walling, repairing rest chalets etc. Money may not be fantastic but its a great outdoor life and you get to meet all kinds of people who may be able to offer him some other sort of work one day.

The biggest problem I can see with carpentry is not getting an adrenalin rush that he would have been used to getting with his army background!

If he was up on a roof and fell off it he would have quite an adrenalin rush. Particulary out over the eaves of a two storey!

Yeah but its unlikely anyone who does that gets the chance to do it again. :LOL:

Tree surgeons earn quite a bit and it's an outdoor job with the adrenalyn rush of being strapped high up in a tree with a chain saw going.

Sponsored Links
Back