What type of brick is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can anyone identify what type of brick or block this is at the front of a property we have just purchased?

Would it be safe to use pressure washer on it to clean it?

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_20240317_155512.jpg IMG_20240317_155519.jpg IMG_20240317_155526.jpg

Sponsored Links
I don’t think it’s classed as brick, more limestone block? I wouldn’t be using a pressure washer on it unless you want to cause damage?

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s classed as brick, more limestone block? I would t be using a pressure washer on it unless you want to cause damage?
Thanks. Someone suggested it may be 'York stone' but on Googling, I didn't think it looked much like it.

I did think pressure washer would be too aggressive for it.
It seems quite soft and 'chalky' if you touch it.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It looks to me like stone cladding. Round here it is mostly like an ornamental tile nailed or stuck to a brick wall, but in some areas, such as parts of Yorkshire, houses are built with an outer leaf of real or reconstituted (concrete) stone blocks.

Your damaged one seems to have sand and small stones in it, suggesting it is a concrete material, but I am not familiar with the material.

Indian sandstone is quite popular now.

Why do you want to clean it?

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like stone cladding. Round here it is mostly like an ornamental tile nailed or stuck to a brick wall, but in some areas, such as parts of Yorkshire, houses are built with an outer leaf of real or reconstituted (concrete) stone blocks.

Your damaged one seems to have sand and small stones in it, suggesting it is a concrete material, but I am not familiar with the material.

Indian sandstone is quite popular now.

Why do you want to clean it?
Thanks for the insight, I hadn't considered it may be a concrete material.

The property was built in the mid 60s. We love the look of them but as you can see in one of the photos, they look a bit grubby under the window sill, though not to an extent I want to risk damaging them by cleaning.

Some homeowners in the street have painted theirs! Sacrilege in my view but each to their own.

Reconstituted stone blocks - basicly concrete and rock added.

Pressure washing can open up the face and then they get dirtier quicker next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back