What type of circuit in my kitchen?

Sponsored Links
Just uploading a pic of my consumer unit as suggested. Interestingly, all three circuits are protected by 32A breakers.
You will have to test with an instrument, not by looking at things. Doesn't mean it's a ring if it's protected by a (32a) breaker.

Have you got a testing device? It seems like you don't....and neon test lamps don't count.

much more modern and satisfactory than I had expected.
I did have an old fuse box but decided to have an electrician put in a modern consumer unit, plus an external earth that he plunged into the ground, just outside my property.

He did have a proper nose around the place and did not warn me of anything untoward (other than the lack of CPC on one of the lighting systems).

I have also checked that there are no circuits that have any rubber on them - everything seems to use modern 1.5 or 2.5 twin earth.
You will have to test with an instrument, not by looking at things. Doesn't mean it's a ring if it's protected by a (32a) breaker.

Have you got a testing device? It seems like you don't....and neon test lamps don't count.
I have a multimeter, which I shall be pulling out at the weekend. I am very interested, now, to see what type of circuits they all are.

I did have an old fuse box but decided to have an electrician put in a modern consumer unit, plus an external earth that he plunged into the ground, just outside my property.

He did have a proper nose around the place and did not warn me of anything untoward (other than the lack of CPC on one of the lighting systems).

What certificates did the spark give you?

Photo of the new unit?

Sponsored Links
What certificates did the spark give you?

Photo of the new unit?

I cannot believe I have been so stupid - the electrician actually e-mailed me a fully report, shortly after the new consumer unit was installed!!!

I shall see if I can hunt it down.

Last edited:
Found it!

What is odd is that the third bedroom, with its own circuit, was wired into the new consumer unit but has been rendered as "unknown" and a blue piece of tape has been used on the consumer unit, to show this. No idea why this happened, so I still need to check the type of circuit that that is.

However, at least I absolutely now know that the kitchen circuit is a ring as well.

Attachments

• elec.1.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back