What type of plaster repair/damage is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm about to start replacing the wallpaper in my bedroom. house is a standard 1930s semi detached. I noticed the corner of the wallpaper came off quite easily then noticed this crack/repair underneath. It's spongy to the touch right in the centre but it isn't damp. Quite sandy too. Not sure what it actually is.

Can anyone tell me what this is? Sorry for the sideways photos.

Thanks!

Daz

Sponsored Links
What is spongy - the paper or the plaster surface in the pics? Does the plaster feel to have bulged off the brickwork?

I would strip all the wallpaper off both walls, and check for any more cracks, bulges or loose plaster.

What is on the other side of the wall - render?

Its probably slight historic movement damage or thermal movement - no sweat, very common.

Hi Ree,

The plaster is spongy in the pics. Right where the centre of that faint cross is on the plaster.

Feels slightly bulged. Definitely not completely flush with the rest of the wall but isn't noticeable unless you run your hand over it.

Other side of the wall (external to the house) is just brick work. No render on that side.

Will check the rest of the wall as I remove more paper.

Will it be OK to paper back over in its current state?

Sponsored Links
Doubtful that a fireplace was located in that position.

OP, research on here about knocking-off and patching up but dont do anything until all the paper is off both walls & you've posted a pic on here.

There is a vent near the top of the wall But seems too close to adjoining wall to have been a fireplace. I thought it was that for a while as it lead through to outside. But the rest of the section of wallpaper in between that area is fine. See attached.

Will report back when I've stripped the rest.

Whats to thr LH side - a bay window?

Have you looked behind th "vent" cover? What is on the outside at that position?

Why not post a pic of the external wall?

Hi Ree,

Yes to the left is a bay window. Rest of the plaster seems solid. No other cracks obvious. Please see attached photo. Also there is a photo of the wall externally.

Plan is to prime that area with some problem-wall-primer and then just carry on papering I think. Unless you think otherwise?

Dark areas in the photograph are remnants of the water used when steaming the wallpaper off by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back