What type of plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

In my bathroom the original 1930's tiles have been rendered onto the walls. I'm in the process of removing them (I couldn't tile over the top, I need the space to squeeze a bath in).

The render was applied in two layers, and for the most part, chipping the tiles away is taking off the top layer of render and leaving the base. However, there are areas where all the render is coming off and we're down to the brick or breeze (internal walls are breeze, external wall is brick).

I'm intending to use a base-coat plaster to flatten off the wall to level with the base coat of render, and then retile the whole lot floor to ceiling.

However, i'm bewildered at the array of different types of plaster, and am hoping someone can recommend a suitable one.

Local builders merchant sell Thistle - we have a choice of Browning, Hardwall, Bonding coat and Dry coat.

i've no idea what I need. Would any one of them be good enough to stick to both common brick and also breezeblock?

Thakns

slip

Sponsored Links
To be honest I think the best option would be to take all the plaster off and get a plasterer to give it the once over. It takes ages to patch up walls and a descent plasterer will have it done in a day. However to answer your question I would use thistle hardwall. Once you have brushed out all the loose plaster I would brush on some watered down Unibond (it will tell you on the container ratios) let it dry and then apply another coat about 30mins before you plaster the patches. Once its all set and dried seal the areas you are going to tile with more unibond, as you will have a plastered wall of various materials this will help prevent the water content of your tile adhesive being soaked into the plaster (suction) uncontrollably.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back