1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

What type of replacement dimmer for LEDs

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Lower, 3 Jan 2020.

1. Lower

Lower

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Our kitchen LED downlights are starting to flicker periodically when dimmed from anything other than full output. I've checked all the connections so i assume that its the dimmer switch that's on the way out.

When the new kitchen was built 3 years or so ago, the electrician had to try a couple of different types of dimmer switch before he found one where the LED's didn't pulse. Its the Robus one in the photo below.

Is there anything special about this dimmer or can i get any suitable LED rated dimmer nowadays?

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. SFK

SFK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Lower

Lower

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for you help.

I have 14 5w leds in the dimming circuit. Total load is therefore 70w, but the dimmer you suggested says its suitable for up to 10 leds. Does this matter?

I notice that Varilight do a pro v-com version that will do up to 300w and 30 leds. Would i need that one?

5. SFK

SFK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lower, to be honest I do not know which is best for you.
    I buy these all the time, because although they cost more they seems to work for all the lights I use them for, and can be programmed when there is a different setup.

The 100W should be okay as you are using 70W,
    It will not know how many LEDs you have , BUT multiple LEDs might need a higher startup than less LEDs.

So yes, perhaps best to get the 180W version.
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...MItcT1vrDn5gIVia3tCh1l1w4wEAQYASABEgJFCvD_BwE

SFK

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. 333rocky333

333rocky333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Reading up on this lately, it seems led lamps work better with Trailing edge dimming, how true this is I dont know.
    I believe some versions of dimmers can be set to Trailing edge dimming or Leading edge so likely a good choice.
    The V pro also does Trailing edge.
    I believe a lot of Led dimmers sold at the likes of screwfix are Leading edge though for some reason, despite some of there Q and A sections recommending Trailing edge for the lamps they sell.
    A good start is to see if you can find some reviews of the dimmer and how its performed in the real world
    https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/dimmers-for-leds.php

Last edited: 3 Jan 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Lower

Lower

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  8. Sponsored Links