What type of shower to install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Combi Boiler in the loft and currently an electrical shower in the Bathroom.
I am about to refurbish the bathroom and need to consider a new shower.

The electrical shower is fed by a 6mm cable and 30 amp fuse.

I have been told about a mixer valve off the combi which will require a balancing valve and may require a pressure pump. Also it has been suggeted using a self contained Power Shower(not sure what supplies are needed -assume mains cold and Combi hot + electrics). On the other hand could have new electric heater shower.

Any views which I should go for as I am confused and would like a simple cost effective solution that is relatively easy to install.
Plonker

Sponsored Links
You have been told a right royal load of b****x.

As Kev says you can't use a pump. But you don't need one. Both your hot and cold are off the mains (Unless you still use a tank in the loft for cold). Your electric shower will be off the mains so you can use the cold supply that uses.

All you need is a mixer. Possibly thermostatic, but pressure balanced, designed for combis is better. A straight mixer would be reasonable.

Remeber your eleccy shower is probably about 8kW, and your combi at least 24kW. 3 times better.

Only snag is if the combi packs up - you'll have no means of washing in hot water once the electric shower is gone.

And if you're in a shower with a "plain" valve and somebody turns a hot tap on, you chill a bit quick. Depends on your pressure & combi. A pressure balanced shower would turn right down but stay a reasonable temperature

Sponsored Links
pressure balancing is the key. If you fit a cheap bath mixer tap with a shower hose coming off problems occur because the chances are the cold water pressure is higher than the hot water pressure from the combi. Your combi boiler owners manual often provides guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back