What type of switch to replace existing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What type of switch to replace existing please?
This switch turns the toilet light on and a timed bathroom fan. The switch is linked to a double pole pull cord switch which turns the bathroom light on and also the same timed bathroom fan.

1666989886736.jpg

Sponsored Links
One switch for two rooms? With the pull switch only working when the one pictured is off?

Blup

Each switch turns a separate light on and the same timed fan.
There is one switch in the bathroom, a pull cord that switches the bathroom light on and activates a timed fan.
In the toilet there is a wall switch as pictured that switches the toilet light on and also activates the same timed fan.
There are no markings on the toilet wall switch to suggest it is an intermediate switch. I just need to replace the switch like for like.

See attached image of the bathroom DP pull cord switch.
1666989886857.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would be tempted to get a new intermediate switch and swap out the wires accordingly.

Blup

I would be tempted to get a new intermediate switch and swap out the wires accordingly.

Blup
I had assumed the image in the first picture was an intermediate switch - what with it being rated at 5amp, and no earth terminal etc - but a double pole switch seems far more logical.

It's clearly a double pole switch, an intermediate makes no sense at all in that wiring configuration.

The tricky bit is that most DP switches sold nowadays are 20A units designed for power work that take up quite a bit of space in the backbox, and it looks like you have a pretty small backbox. Some of them don't look very lightswitch like either (particularly the MK ones which look like a FCU with the fuse missing).

Scholmore Click do a 13A DP switch in their "minigrid" range which I think is similar in size to a normal ligtswitch. You would have to pair it up with a suitable minigrid plate.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back