What Type Of System Is This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother has just bought a 30 year old bungalow, with original heating system. Its got a single 2 port valve, plus boiler, pump, programmer, etc.

I think its a gravity HW, pumped heating system, but the top of the HW cylinder is level with the bottom of the boiler (they're in different rooms). If its gravity HW, doesn't the cylinder have to be above the boiler, eg. in loft?

If the boiler was replaced, can you keep the gravity HW (would keep the cost down), or does the system have to be converted to fully pumped? Does this need lots of pipework changes?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Cant be gravity, i would say its a simple system where the pump and boiler come on for HW,but if the CH is required,the roomstat is what operates the zone valve,which, i would suspect is on the CH curcuit.

I fitting a new boiler, i would upgrade to fully pumped S plan,it may be a lot of pipework,but you only have to do it once,flush system properly,think about fitting new rads,get TRVs.

Thanks for your quick reply Garfeild.

Is there a name for this system, which letter plan (eg. C Plan for gravity HW)?

Whatever its called, would a new boiler need the system changing to suit regs? Boilers OK, but bit noisy when it fires up.

Would really like to just change the boiler only.

Sponsored Links
It sounds similar to a "C" plan though usually the pump is on the heating,and valve on the feed to the HW cylinder.
My heating was exactly the same as yours sounds when we moved in to this house.
I would change to fully pumped if fitting a new boiler,fit S plan,with new controls,then you have full control of the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back