What underlay for a laminate floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to fit a laminate floor in my front room, but am unsure of the best type of underlay to get. Does anyone have any experience of good brands and types? thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I've read many posts on this and am still confused. Can someone teach me please?
I am planning a laminate floor in the hall. There is minimal room between the concrete floor and a inward opening pvc door so height is an issue.
Unfortunately shop advice is minimal. When asked they don't seem to be able to articulate a justification in price band - just "it's a better quality or better brand".
Therefore I propose to use Quickstep Eligna 8mm laminate (I'm impressed by the 25 year guarantee)
I was recommended thin foam type underlay with dpm but this seems contrary to carpet underlay where thickest seems best.
There are "felt" tiles in different heights (5 to 7mm) so these seem better.
Or I have read Timbermate EXCEL Gold (4.2mm thick) is best.
I only want to do this once so it's not a cost question. Can anyone help please?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Wood You Like
I propose to go with the Timbermate Duratex and see what the fitter says re: the height. I guess I'll be able to change it if he says it's 0.6mm too far.
I think your own site is great and wish I could have chosen real wood but the height issue and now my wife are against it.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back