what wiring center for UFH and Hive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
still struggling to get my head round this and buy the right thing before the electrician and plumber arrive next week .
I'm supposed to be supplying everything except wire .

Ive got wet UFH with 3 zones in 1 large room (radiators and hw cylinder upstairs)
S-plan
3 actuators
3 zone valves
2 pumps
Hive active kit and hive multi zone

at the moment i have no wiring center . Do I need one with what i already have ?
If so what one ? does it need to be wireless also ?

Probably a dumb question but if anyone can help would be appreciated .

"my life is just a series of sh*ts and fans!"

Sponsored Links
Yes, except it doesn't have to include the fancy bit -

upload_2017-6-12_12-5-38.jpeg

Sponsored Links
For wet underfloor applications I prefer to use something like the Heatmiser UH jobbies.
It has all the terminals you need for zone thermostats, external pump(s), options for hot water timers etc.

thanks for taking the time to reply .
I had a look at
Heatmiser UH4 seems like it would do the job as i have only 3 zones (3 actuators in one zone rads and hw)
but it does not support wireless thermostats .
Yes, except it doesn't have to include the fancy bit -

View attachment 120848

so what your saying is it doesn't have to be wireless for what i need ?
because the hive kit and multizone will support the hive wireless thermostats? and uh4 can just serve as some expensive chocolate blocks .

so what your saying is it doesn't have to be wireless for what i need ?
because the hive kit and multizone will support the hive wireless thermostats? and uh4 can just serve as some expensive chocolate blocks .

Wireless is useful as it saves having to run a cable to the thermostat position spoiling the decorating.

If you already have a wired thermostat and you are happy with its location then there is no point having a wireless one.

we don't have any thermostats . we used to have radiators and thermostatic valves downstairs until i removed the wall they were on for open plan and fitted ufh .

So as it is with the hive kit if i got a uh4 , all i would need is a wire from uh4 by the manifold, to the boiler controls next to the boiler which would be replaced with the hive hub?

then just put the 2 wireless thermostats up .

https://www.underfloorheating1.co.uk/product/uh8rf-8-zone-wireless-wiring-centre

that's what i was looking at and the reason for asking .
works with heatmiser wireless thermostats etc...
Hive don't have a similar one so i thought i needed a wireless one like that ,I didn't know what one would be suitable.

Ill just get the UH4 and try that .

but thanks for clearing that up about the wires in a junction box .
you can find out about a wireless junction box at the above link :)

How well insulated is your house? Mine is fitted out with UFH, neo stats, neo hub, uh8 wiring centres.. And none of the thermostats are actually used. The heat pump controller has a thermostat in it and it's turned out to be more than adequate to run the whole system.. I haven't even got as far as making the manifold pumps go on and off under control from the heat pump, they just run continuously.. Or did, until the start of feb when the house ceased to need hearing and then I unplugged them..

Thousand quid on heatmiser neo and what use does it get? She uses an app to check on the temperature of the kids' bedrooms

The wiring centre does have a bit more going on than just a bunch of junction blocks, in that different zones can activate the manifold pump without causing cross activation of other zone valve/actuators.. But it's not exactly rocket surgery inside the box

its mid terrace 1960 , cavity wall insulation ,loft insulation , no felt under roof tiles , drafty front and back doors , old double glazing . So its not great , probably alright if i fix the doors .probably Good if i change the roofs and renew the windows .

but yeah all that fancy wifi stuff is expensive just to switch something on and off from a distance , having spent a **** load on the downstairs floor already whats another £180 on hive and £70 on uh4 £50 on actuators and £100 on zone valves , a drop in the ocean compared to £1400 for screed ,£1000 or more for ufh stuff

As long as the so called electrician and plumber can get it all working in the correct manner with what ive bought for them to fit . without cross activation and whatnot . Ill be happy with the convenience of remote controll heating and hw .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back