What wiring is this??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new here and just need a quick bit of info.

I had this weird cover on part of the wall in my dining room and when I took the cover off, this was the wiring behind it. Any ideas what it is? Doesn’t look like electric to me, but I could be wrong. Anyone know what it is before I rip it completely out. Don’t want to leave anything dangerous about.

Cheers
John

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 337
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 301
Sponsored Links
The socket type is known as "Jones" after the first company to make them. 99% certain they are not mains votage. But use a multii-meter to check that there is no voltage between any pair of wires.

They were often used for communications such as intercom systems, internal telephone systems, special purpose land lines etc etc

They may date from the 1940's if the house is that old

Do you have the history of the house, previous owners etc which may indicate a need for special communications or similar. ( such as a Police House ).

The house definitely dates back that far, was built in the 1880’s!
No idea on previous owners at all, I’ll give the multimeter a go. Do I test between every pair?

Sponsored Links
looking at the colours and brightness of the insulation, I'm pretty sure it's PVC, so unlikely to be older than late 1960's

I don't recognise the connectors. It might possibly have been a cable broadcast system. If you can take the floor up, see where they go.

Telecomms cables are usually in twisted pairs which I don't see.

and when did brightly coloured cores appear in domestic installations?

Checked it all. No live to it. Time to rip it out!

and when did brightly coloured cores appear in domestic installations?
It might not be part of a domestic installation, it might be a left over from when the house had some official purpose, as likely as a previous owner, a techno geek, having installed some system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back