What Wood floor - Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm just coming to the end of some extension work in my house and am basically looking to take the opportunity to lay some wood flooring down.

I have been looking around and see there is basically solid wood flooring and Engineered wood flooring. I am edging towards teh engineered OAK flooring and have been lookinga round for some prices.

The rooms I am looking to cover are my lounge, study and sun lounge (not a conservatory - but an extension to the lounge with a big window)
Total 42m2

Can anyone advise on the following:

1. Reccomend whether I should opt for Solid oak or Engineered Oak
2. Where's a good place to buy from
3. I have seen this - is it any good (quality and price) http://www.timberneutral.com/engineered oak flooring.html

...Looking at the 180mm wide planks

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated....

Thanks

I

Sponsored Links
Hi 2funky,

Definitely check out WoodYouLike's website. I did a lot of research there before choosing to go for engineered wood for my conservatory:

http://www.xyloflooring.com/index.php/General/X-treme-collection.html

It has 6mm real wood with a 15mm plywood back (21mm total thickness) so is solid enough to go directly on to the joists.

I read that engineered wood is better if there is a wide range of temperatures (my conservatory can go from 10C on a cold night to 30C on a sunny day) as the plywood backing makes it more stable than solid wood flooring.

Sponsored Links
You huys are excellent and really seem to know your stuff.

In my rooms - Lounge, Extended Lounge and Study - I don't think there is much variation in temp.. What I'm conscious of is spending so much money and finding that the flooring is creaking or there is movement in the floors. So back to do I go fir Engineered or Solid? My builder (who is a chippy by trade) has recommended Engineered - but that seems to be so much more expensive than the solid wood. Just trying to understand the extra investment is worth it in the long run. For me - this is a massive investment!! and I have seen the sample boards from here and they look good.. any guidance appreciated..

http://www.timberneutral.com/engineered oak flooring.html

Is that too exepnsive? or does the price look ok?

Too cheap to be honest. That type of wood-engineered boards - the quality ones that is, not the copy-cats who don't know how to get the bonding between the top layer and backing correct - is higher in price. You get what you pay for though. We get boards like that offered to us frequently, but none of them can match the quality of what we normally sell.

Still think you're well off with one of the floors I linked to in the Basic Engineered range, we even install them on UFH without any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back