What would be a rought cost to do this..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the new year were redoing the lounge. And part of that will be to get rid of that artex celing. presume the fastest way is the best way. And i assume that would be to plasterboard it. rarther then scrape or thick plaster then skim. But what do i know?

Size is 6mtr x 6mtr

What would i be looking at pricewise, roughly.

Aso. Some of the walls might need skimming if dammage occurs during paper stripping. How much would i be looking at.. Lets say for one whole wall side. Skimming. At 6mtr long.

Cheers all!

Area is south birmingham

Sponsored Links
6x6=36m2. A bag of Board Finish or Multifinish covers 10m2. A 8"x4" plasterboard is 2.88m2. So you will need 13 boards (12.5 to be precise) but depending on how they joists/cuts, you might need to add a couple of boards on. A plasterboard is about £6 plus screws plus scrim tape plus labour to fit.

Or knock the bigger bits of artex off with a scraper and skim a bonding coat over first before Mutlifinish.

Mixing and applying 3+ bags will need a couple of plasterers minimum.

On smaller ceilings, I've just applied 4 or 5 coats of plaster direct to the artex for it to cover, didn't even apply PVA so it went off quicker. Only trouble is, some artex can become loose and fall off due to the moisture from the plaster.

Probably looking at £10 per square metre labour to skim.

If you don't mind, say RD920 Anaglypta paper, board the ceiling, tape and fill the joints and screw holes, apply a patterned paper and emulsion off.

Well, my bedroom is about 4m by 3.3, and I had the ceiling overboarded, and walls all skimmed.
That cost about £650 - 700 (not sure exactly as a couple of other jobs also done).
I did get another quote for £650 though.

So based on that ... maybe a room that is almost 3 times bigger will cost almost 3 times more?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back