What would you do??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next door neighbours (Elderly Couple) came to the door on Sunday and asked me to look at their boiler, Central heating fine but hot water shot so diagnosed as Plate Heat Exchanger as Diaphram seemed fine (now replaced both as they were both shot).
After i finished job (Charged #130 including parts and labour) they then present me with a receipt for the company they had in 3 weeks ago to repair problem (they didnt like to bother me).
The said company charged #225.00 + vat and only changed the auto air vent which was leaking!!!
Now first off would a leaking auto air vent above the pump cause a problem on the hot water side ( as i cant see how it would ) and secondly if not what should i do?
This couple are in their late eighties and i feel they have been ripped off!!
Would you contact the company or put it down to the couples fault.
The receipt claims they drained down the full system, changed part installed new inhibitor, refilled and fixed a broken hot tap (which i repaired tonight) and all in 50 mins!!

Advise please

Sponsored Links
Sounds like Bullshit to me, AAV could cause a problem if all the water leaks out of the primary side, AAV is not a drin down, just release the pressure, unscrew the old AAV and wind in the new one, in honesty it takes about as much time as typing this reply AAV cost around £15 retail, plus darling's share, you don't say what time of day the work was done but in normal hours £100 should be about right?

Sounds like a company called AAAAthis or that from yellow pages!! :rolleyes:

If inhibitor added, should be easy to verify concentration. Suspect if it was done.

On a combi have never had to drain down to replace the AAV.

Thanks for your prompt responce,

got one priced direct from Biasi as 12.35 +vat, job started at 09.30 and finished at 10.10 (both am).
Dont know where you are mate (please this is not a dig) but i was able in an hour to change the plate heat and a new diaphram all for the princely sum of 130 so as you can imagine the 225 +vat they paid for a new AAV is disgusting.
Do i get in touch as the next engineer or do i say im a qualified family member?
What im after in leighmans terms is what would you as an engineer do in these circumstances?
Would you ask the company what they think they are playing at or would you put it down to customers loss and leave it at that?

Thanks
Chuk

Sponsored Links
Something none to dissimular occurred with a neighbour of my outlaws, I personally caught up with the perpitrator in the local parts suppliers and disgraced him in front of about a dozen other engineers.

He telephoned the customer that afternoon and gave a lame excuse of working his sums out wrong, though he did post a check covering his over charge.

Can't see it going far but worth a phonecall to the firm as a qualified relative.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Its just that everyday i deal with people who are terrified of being ripped off, and as much as you tell them that 99.9% of people out there would never dream of it you come across a company like this.
Think i will play the qualified relative card and hope they can find a decent excuse for their short comings and also a decent return on some cash, also hope that the neighbours now understand that some of the younger generation are happy to help and do not see them as a burden if they knock the door.

There are three types of overcharging:-

1. The genuine cowboys.

2. The incompetent.

3. Those who make a genuine mistake!

Its a long while now since I came across a genuine cowboy. I suspect there really are fewer about now.

Today I went to a job visited by Pimlico plumbers. The fellow obviously did not know what was wrong or what to do. But at least he gave her my number and I went a couple of hours later and fixed it for her within our diagnostic charge of £84.

The actual fault was that water had entered the PCB box and that needed drying and testing and was fine.

There was no obvious source of the water but I concluded it was through the horizontal flue from over flowing gutters and she is to check up on these when it next rains.

Tony

hope that the neighbours now understand that some of the younger generation are happy to help and do not see them as a burden if they knock the door.

Even when most of them wouldn't give you a nod in the desert You'll learn!

kissass.gif

still waiting :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back