What would you recommend, VGA or PAL output?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I was wanting to know what would be better for my cctv monitor since it takes both options of VGA and tv cable. Some say to me VGA is better, others say something along the lines of VGA being pointless as the screen will not output VGA. This is not my type of game so am confused at present, likewise what would you guys recommend?

Sponsored Links
The norm I have seen for CCTV is to use composite signals (PAL) which is basically one coax cable from each camera terminating in a BNC or a phono type connector. You can also use this with a SCART adaptor.
Most CCTV cameras are Low - Medium definition hence I don't see the benefit of going away from using normal composite signals.

From each camera, yikes ive already fished the camera wiring and all i did was fish through cat5e FTP cable from where the DVR is to sit to each camera point. I thought the coax or vga which ever i was to use was from DVR to monitor?

Oh right - you are using cat5 from cameras to DVR - wasn't clear in the OP. Nothing wrong with that, as long as the camera can transmit over cat 5 cable and the dvr can recieve it, or adaptors are used.

Still the same thought regarding the monitor pictire - the picture will be governed by the resolution of the cameras and if you are wanting to have all 4 pics on the screen at the same time, also the output resolution of the multiplexer.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the lack of info sparky. Ill give you some background on what i have.

Basically I have 4 internal 580 colour TVL cameras and 3 external 580 TVL so that makes it 7 cameras

The DVR will accept the cat5 and is a 10 channel DVR

Furthermore, the DVR will allow for VGA and also PAL. So would I be right in saying that using coax i.e. pal for the monitor would be better than using vga?

The screen btw is a LG plasma monitor which again accepts both

I'd be tempted to try it and see what the results are like. Can the DVR display more than one camera on the screen at a time?
580 TVL iirc is a high resolution camera so there may be benefits.
VGA is capable of a higher resolution than PAL so might give margianally better results.

I'm wondering if it can create a higher definition picture via VGA so the results could be better.
Can you rig it up to try it?

Well to be honest testing it with the vga is difficult for me for two reasons,

the cameras are in place but the dvr is yet to come however the screen is mounted and wired into a spur, and the problem with this is that I deliverately located the screen in the opposite side of the room compared to where the DVR is to sit.

Now the reason this is a problem is that the VGA cable that come with the screen is small i.e. probably around 3 meters long max. The distance between my DVR and screen is around 17 meters lol so i would need to get a VGA cable that is around that type of length or get one made. So in order for me to test either option, I would have to do so as though I am permanently installing such installations meaning I would have to get the VGA and PAL permanently installed and then decide which one works.

Thats why I was wondering that rather than going through all that palava, would it really be necessary to have VGA but it seems now as though its best getting a VGA cable in there for safety measures. Until i dont get this cable on, I cant put my skirting on either as all my cables are hidden behind dryline or skirting.

Btw is it possible to "make" a VGA cable to length?

Long VGA cables and extensions are available from several sources including RS components. I have run XGA to data projectors 50 metres with no problem. If you are looking for top quality a XGA driver is an advantage. www.rswww.com and search for monitor cables

It's the quality of the recorded image that counts, not what you see on standard viewing on the monitor.

If th recorded images are crap, then it don't really matter how they look on the screen.

Atilla you are very right however I have great faith in the recorder as I have access to a similar one already which not long ago was used by the police for evidence and the results were good. (not a theft, someone got beaten up outside so the police took advantage of the backup feature)

Anyways, regarding the screen. The reason I want to make sure I get a good image on screen is for live viewing. Say I want to have a nosey at my car outside, I want a clear enough picture. Say someone walks in downstairs, Id like to be able to see in some level of detail what is going on.

I know this may sound ludicrous as youd expect the most simple of cctv systems to deliver this however at one of our premises, we have a cctv system where although at first glance the image looks decent but when you want to concentrate on whether someone has picked something up etc, you cant view such details as they seem too intricate. Thats why at this new place of mine ive made sure I have good quality cameras (seen the quality at an install a friend of mine did), a good DVR (tried and tested) and a good quality screen. So the only thing left is making sure the install is a quality one too

Easiest way would be to run some coax. It's very cheap and if you don't want to buy a reel, I believe you can buy it by the metre from some places. If you are near heathrow I can supplyyou some decent length offcuts for free. Depends how much you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back