What's a country part and syphon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi our toilet won't flush and I know someone who's a plumber who popped in to have a look at it. He told me we need a country part and syphon and because I can't get to Plumb Centre during the week he reckons B & Q might have it. I've looked up both these websites but can't find anything with this name. I called the same plumber but he says he's only ever known it by that name. Does anyone know the correct name of this part please?

Sponsored Links
Syphon:
2009.jpg

Country part:
Question-mark.jpg

Never heard of a country part.

Lol maybe it would help if i explain what the problem is. The connecting hook has fell off the metal c shaped link and it seems it's disappeared into the syphon. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the help, as you can guess I'm a novice :D

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
denso13 that's great thanks. He did say when he looked in the cistern that the overflow wasn't connected to anything. We've not long bought this house and the bathroom suite is old, hoping to replace it all next year but meantime we'll try and fix it ourselves :D

This might be a silly question but is It necessary to drain the cistern before changing the syphon?

Yes, flush out as much as possible then use a cloth/sponge for the rest.

And then there's the rusted 'pull down' bolts and wing nuts to get over.... :rolleyes:

And the donut washer

And the old fibre washer on the inlet valve connection that just will not hold 100%

Best of British to you.

DH

Sounds like a nightmare. My plumber pal made It sound pretty simple. He told me to spray the wing nuts with WHAT to loosen them up first which I've done. Hopefully will get the part from B&Q tomorrow night & hubby will have a go.

Charnwood I'll have a look at that link. Thanks very much. Plumber friend has offered to help If any issues but got the impression he would prefer not to so hopefully something we could do.

Oops just realised I meant to say plumber said spray the wing nuts with WD40. Predictive text :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back