What's causing this rad / pipe issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I installed a new rad in kitchen along with a few metres of new pipework. The old pipe comes down from above, so I renewedthe section if pipe from where it comes out of the wall

Thz rad heats up slowly and the return pipe does not get that hot. It just gets very mildly hot whereas flow pipe is really hot to touch. Could there be a blockage?

The radiator is new
The valves are new
The pipe off radiator is new but joins old pipe where it goes upstairs in corner for wall

In pic below the bottom pipe is the one that doesn't warm up much (even after 30 mins of heating on)

16460447524682686382428710300903.jpg

Sponsored Links
Open the lockshield valve a bit more. Close the others off a little. Balance the system.

Do us a pic of the vertical bits- you may have an air bubble trapped in the tee. I have 1 rad that suffers from this- solution is to fully open one rad valve and close the other one, drain a gallon (with pump running) then close other valve, open first valve, repeat.
I've got a convenient drain cock, with your setup you might be best removing one of the top blank plugs and putting a temporary tap on (you need a good low-resistance path for water flow to allow the pump to overcome gravity and push the air bubble down the pipe)

Are both valves fully open, (remove TRV head and check pin is free to move up and down), if that checks out then I'd go so far as to say turn all the other Rads off, and force the flow through this one. That should shift any air lock in the pipework.

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, not helpful in any way :oops:
.....I'm afraid the angle of that lockshield would do my head in! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back